Was Barksdale's assault the ANV's high water mark for day 2

29thWisCoG

Corporal
Reading Pfanz on day 2, it seems as if the attack of Barksdale's brigade was the high water mark for the CSA on this day... I could be wrong, but it seems like the Peach Orchard had already been heavily attacked and Barksdale came in and finished it off? Anyway, Barksdales seems like one of the more impressive generals in the ANV... looking forward to your comments!

Reading Pfanz on day 2, it seems as if the attack of Barksdale's brigade was the high water mark for the CSA on this day... I could be wrong, but it seems like the Peach Orchard had already been heavily attacked and Barksdale came in and finished it off? Anyway, Barksdales seems like one of the more impressive generals in the ANV... looking forward to your comments!
Barksdale allowed Wilcox and Lang to push Humphreys' Division back, which drew off reinforcements from the Second Corps which allowed part of Wright's Brigade to pierce the line on Cemetery Ridge before being stopped by elements of the First Corps which were being rushed to the scene. I would say that the breakthrough of the 22nd Georgia was the highwater mark but it only occurred because of what had happened to the south.

Ryan

I don't know about a single high water mark, but the Confederates had several individual "waves" that were quite successful:

1. Benning's capture of Devil's Den that unraveled Ward's line;
2. Barksdale's capture of the Peach Orchard that broke part of Birney's division;
3. Charge of Wilcox and Lang that broke Humphreys' division;
4. Wright's advance, part of which reached Cemetery ridge; and
5. Wofford's smashing of Sweitzer's brigade and the U.S. Regulars while clearing the Wheatfield.

The Union troops within the area of the Peach Orchard had suffered through artillery fire for quite a while prior to Barksdale's assault, but had not much in the way of pressure via Confederate infantry other than skirmishing. Kershaw's troops could have created more pressure than what they had (up to the point of Barksdale's part of the assault) but a snafu occurred in movement of the troops, which gave temporary reprieve to the Union troops along the southern edge of the Peach Orchard.

Back