Warren G. Harding, 29th President

Lubliner

Major
Forum Host
W. G. was born on Nov. 2, 1865 in Blooming Grove Ohio. His father George was born in 1843 making him 18 years of age at the beginning of the Civil War. The family was abolitionist. George studied and became a doctor at some point, and in 1870 bought a local weekly newspaper.
I was hoping someone could find whether George Harding enlisted for duty between 1861 and 1865.
I chose to place the question in the forum, though not mine, since it appertains to genealogy. If it would be better in another forum, can someone move it? Thanks for the attention, and forgive my deficient know-how.
Lubliner.

George Tryon Harding (12 June 1844 - 19 November 1928) father of Warren G. Harding. George T. Harding was born in Morrow County, Ohio. In 1875, the family moved to Caledonia, Warren County.

The only Ohio record for a George T. Harding is this one, for a Musician in the 136th Ohio. Perhaps someone who knows more about Ohio regiments will be able to tell us what county Company I of the 136th Ohio came from?
1558153207907.png

George Tryon Harding (12 June 1844 - 19 November 1928) father of Warren G. Harding. George T. Harding was born in Morrow County, Ohio. In 1875, the family moved to Caledonia, Warren County.

The only Ohio record for a George T. Harding is this one, for a Musician in the 136th Ohio. Perhaps someone who knows more about Ohio regiments will be able to tell us what county Company I of the 136th Ohio came from?
View attachment 307904
Thank you @lelliott19. That is a start in the discovery, and I am quite surprised that no date is legible. It mention 'National Guard', which gives me a thought toward militia units. (??).

Lubliner.

I am quite surprised that no date is legible.
Fold 3 only has index cards for Ohio.

I found a listing for counties of origin for companies of the 136th Ohio and, low and behold, the men in Company I were mostly from Morrow County. Doesn't mean it was definitely him, but it could have been.
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/e...2.A0this_Regiment_with_the_Counties_of_Origin
1558155244221.png

This George T. Harding was 19 years old in May 1864. :D Your guy would have been 19 years old in May 1864. https://archive.org/stream/officialrosters01commgoog#page/n636/mode/2up

Last edited:
Fold 3 only has index cards for Ohio.

I found a listing for counties of origin for companies of the 136th Ohio and, low and behold, the men in Company I were mostly from Morrow County. Doesn't mean it was definitely him, but it could have been.
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/e...2.A0this_Regiment_with_the_Counties_of_Origin
View attachment 307905
This George T. Harding was 19 years old in May 1864. :D Your guy would have been 19 years old in May 1864. https://archive.org/stream/officialrosters01commgoog#page/n636/mode/2up
The information I had drawn was from Wikipedia.org. I was curious that having so many Presidents that served in the war, whether Hardings' dad maybe was involved. I should try the encyclopedia on line. Maybe that will be able to point out a match on what you contributed, so far. Thank you,
Lubliner.

The 136th Ohio was a 100 day regiment and he was discharged early on surgeon's certificate.

No other George, George T., G.T. with last name Harding born between 1840-1850 showing up in the census for Morrow County, or anywhere else in Ohio for that matter - just yours. I think you've got yourself a winner. :thumbsup:

The 136th Ohio was a 100 day regiment and he was discharged early on surgeon's certificate.

No other George, George T., G.T. with last name Harding born between 1840-1850 showing up in the census for Morrow County, or anywhere else in Ohio for that matter - just yours. I think you've got yourself a winner. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE/]
May 2nd to August 29th, and 100 days. So he was discharged just before his time was due. Now, with a man as important as the father of a President, I should be able to find plenty of wonderful tidbits on that cause, his instrument of choice, etc. Somehow a blank past spells more intrigue, and the family had already been subject to 'rumors' concerning lineage of African-American descent. Hmm...

Lubliner.

I should be able to find plenty of wonderful tidbits on that cause, his instrument of choice, etc. Somehow a blank past spells more intrigue, and the family had already been subject to 'rumors' concerning lineage of African-American descent. Hmm...

Lubliner.

Oh dear, me... What if it were actually...true? :whistling: And, what would that change? :smile:

According to his 1928 obituary Dr. George Harding enlisted twice. The initial enlistment was in Company C, 96th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in 1863. Assigned to duty in Camp Dennison (near Cincinnati) he was stricken with pleurisy enroute and sent home to recover. It took George over a year to recover at which time he re-enlisted in Company I, 136th OVI, a three month regiment. While serving in Fairfax County VA Harding contracted typhoid fever and was again returned home. A clipping from the 19 November 1928 Akron Beacon Journal is attached.
clipping_31686176.jpg

Thank you @lelliott19. That is a start in the discovery, and I am quite surprised that no date is legible. It mention 'National Guard', which gives me a thought toward militia units. (??).

Lubliner.

OHIO
ONE HUNDRED and THIRTY-SIXTH INFANTRY
(One Hundred Days)

One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Infantry. - Col., W. Smith
Irwin; Lieut.-Col., David A. Williams; Maj., Alexander W. Dil-
ler. This regiment was organized at Camp Chase, May 13, 1864,
to serve for 100 days. It was composed of four companies of
the 62nd battalion, Ohio National Guard, from Union county;
five companies of the 56th battalion, from Morrow county; three
companies of the 6th battalion, from Crawford county, and one
company of the 89th battalion, from Marion county. It left
Camp Chase on the evening of May 13 for Washington. D. C. and
on May 20 was placed on garrison duty at Forts Ellsworth, Wil-
liams and North, a part of the defenses of Washington south of
the Potomac. It remained on garrison duty during its term of
service, which expired on Aug. 20, and was mustered out on Aug.
30, 1864.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 2

I am related to Pres Harding thru marriage of one of my ancestors. I am doing regular genealogy on my family. If you need assistance, let me know. I have an acquaintance in Marion, OH who is a regular historian! Unfortunately, I haven't gone back that far on the Harding's (yet).

I am related to Pres Harding thru marriage of one of my ancestors. I am doing regular genealogy on my family. If you need assistance, let me know. I have an acquaintance in Marion, OH who is a regular historian! Unfortunately, I haven't gone back that far on the Harding's (yet).
Thank you for introducing yourself. Now I am slapping my behind for not writing down a reference I came upon the other night where a 'Chas. Harding' (?) I believe corresponded with another officer concerning an incident, possibly in Paducah, 1862. I will look and see if I can locate it, and post it in case there is a connection.
Lubliner.

Edit: I found my path led back to Chas. S. Hayes, not Harding, who commanded the Third Battalion of Fifth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, Major. Sorry for the lapse and regret the loss of a lead that may have helped. Edited.

Last edited:
Back