NF war of the rebellion Fredericksburg vol. 21

Non-Fiction

rebed19th

Corporal
I just acquired a copy of the Fredericksburg WOTR vol 21 official records book. While I was fanning thru the pages on page 535 I saw the word York for New York crossed out and the word Jersey added for New Jersey to the outside column of the page. It looks like it was done in ink. The book looks like it was never read. I am wondering if anyone has a copy of the same book and if the addition was made in their copy. I looked up the soldiers name on the database and there is a name from NJ. This has me wondering why or how did the previous owner of this copy discover this misprint or error and could this be a one in a billion discovery. Was the correction done by them or was it done by someone else, (publisher)? For someone to figure this out they would have to be a complete genius about the Battle of Fredericksburg to be able pick up a detail like this. Thanks for your thoughts.

IMGP0840.JPG

It looks like the correction was done by a previous owner of your copy. In the digitalized version of it on simmonsgames.com, the correction isn't made. Neither is it made in the electronic version of the Ohio State University.

In New Jersey troops in the Gettysburg campaign from June 5 to July 31, 1863 by Samuel Toombs (footnote on p. 309), in Newton's report on Gettysburg and afterward and in his report on Atlanta, ADC H. W. Jackson is from the 4th New Jersey. I've been looking for the 4th New Jersey's muster rolls but haven't found H. W. Jackson on them yet. I'll keep looking. :smile:

And I think I found him: Huntingdon W. Jackson. He enlisted on September 6, 1862 for 3 years in the 4th New Jersey. He appears on the muster lists for Company B and F. The remarks are as follows:

Com. 2d Lieut. vice Shaw promoted; promoted 1st Lieut. Co. F, Jan. 8, '63.
Record of Officers and Men of New Jersey in the Civil War, 1861-1865, Vol. I, p. 189

2d Lieut. Co. B, Sept. 6, '62; 1st Lieut. vice Pearson promoted; Bvt. Capt., Bvt. Maj. and Bvt. Lieut. Col., March 13, '65; A. D. C. to Maj. Gen. John Newton.
Record of Officers and Men of New Jersey in the Civil War, 1861-1865, Vol. I, p. 205

Thank you luinrina for you hard work. Your info does make a difference. I still find it amazing that the previous owner of my book picked this error up and noted it as there is nothing else written in the entire 1280 other pages.

It looks to me as if the correction was made by someone looking up information pertaining to that brigade and came across the error. It might have been a researcher familiar with the brigade staff, or even a member of the brigade familiar with the officer in question. Impossible to prove, but that would be exciting.

Back