NF War Of The Rebellion: A Compilation of Official Records

Non-Fiction

Kelly408

Private
There is an abbreviation on page 384 of Sherman's Carolina Campaign (Chapter LIX) that I don't understand. Hoping someone can clue me in. In the chart of "Description of work done", the second line says: Bridges built: ... do ... 122 303 439 875. What does the "do" stand for. It's hard for me to believe 875 bridges were built by any one Corps during that march.

Last edited:
Okay so that means 875 yards of bridges were built by the 17th Corps. That's about a half mile. Thank you John and Major.

Is it also possible that it might mean a total of 1739 'yards' were built. They did move over a lot of swampy ground, IIRC.
The chart reads for First Div, Second Div, Third Div and Total. And this is just the 17th. There are numbers for other Divisions. I just got stuck on the word "do".

O.E. Poe, Capt. U.S. Engineers, Brevet Brig General, has an overall chart for the Carolina campaign. He says for the entire campaign 3460 feet of pontoon bridge was built, and 1700 feet of trestle bridge built. That seems too little, but who am I to say.

Back