1895 – 1898: United States Senator from Mississippi​

Died: April 21, 1898

Place of Death: Washington, D.C.

Age at time of Death: 67 years old

Burial Place: Hill Crest Cemetery, Holly Springs, Mississippi

Last edited by a moderator:
1871 – 1885: Attorney in Grenanada, Mississippi
Typo: Grenada
(Pronounce the first "a" with a long vowel sound. Not pronounced like the island.) {Edited}

Happy Birthday, General. :dance:

Holly Springs lays claim for General Walthall. As I recall, the Marshall County Museum has a painting of Edward Walthall.
Grenada seems to take some pride that he lived there. This marker is located in Grenada.

Marker Walthall.jpg

I've never been to this marker nor have I visited his grave in Holly Springs. That will be on my To-Do List for the Fall.

Last edited:
1863: Wounded and Captured during Battle of Missionary Ridge

Captured?
His brigade was cut in half or more at the Battle of Lookout Mountain. His brigade was moved to Missionary Ridge "where they were not directly attacked"$.

$ Quote from Dunbar Rowland unit history of 30th Mississippi.

Entered Confederate service as a lieutenant in the Yalobusha Rifles.

Occupation before War:
Attorney in Coffeeville, Mississippi
District Attorney for Tenth Judicial District of Mississippi

1861: Lt. of 15th Mississippi Infantry Regiment

This makes sense. Coffeeville is located in the county of Yalobusha---BTW, where my maternal ancestors lived. So it makes sense he joined up with the Yalobusha Rifles, which became part of the 15th Mississippi Regiment.
But I can't find Edward Walthall in the 1860 Census---I didn't get a hit even in the entire State.

BTW, as I recall, President Davis visited Coffeeville early in the war. There was a training camp in the area of Grenada. I think it is somewhere under the present Grenada Lake.

I remember going to Pickett's Mill, site of Patrick Cleburne's famous victory against O. O. Howard during the Atlanta Campaign. At the souvenier shop, they had little figures of the generals. I saw some for Granbury, some for Govan, some for Lowrey...and one for General Walthall. Oddly, none for Cleburne. I believe Walthall was still commanding a brigade of Mississippians at that time. I forget their involvment in the engagement, if at all.

I remember going to Pickett's Mill, site of Patrick Cleburne's famous victory against O. O. Howard during the Atlanta Campaign. At the souvenier shop, they had little figures of the generals. I saw some for Granbury, some for Govan, some for Lowrey...and one for General Walthall. Oddly, none for Cleburne. I believe Walthall was still commanding a brigade of Mississippians at that time. I forget their involvment in the engagement, if at all.
Interesting. Was it a bust or a standing figure?

I am familiar with the history of the 30th Mississippi Regiment which consolidated with the 29th Mississippi. The fighting around Atlanta is confusing.

This is from the Organization of the 30th Mississippi Regiment.
+ December 1862 -- Walthall's Brigade, Anderson's Division, Polk's Corps
+ September 1863 -- Walthall's Brigade, Liddell's Division, Walker's Corps
+ Jun 1864 -- Wathall's Brigade, Hindman's Division(CO Brown & Anderson), Hood's Corps(CO S.D. Lee)
+ October, 1864 -- Brantley's Brigade, Lee's Corps

A list of their battles around Atlanta
+ Resaca, May 14-15,
+ Cassville, May 19, the regiment was under fire of artillery and had 1 killed and 1 wounded.
+ They were not seriously engaged, though skirmishing was constant and heavy during the operations of the New Hope Church and Kenesaw lines.
+ Lickskillet road July 28
+ The last battle was at Jonesboro; August 31, when the brigade lost heavily in an attack the Federal line.

That should give you some idea of their involvement. My Gr-Grandfather was captured at the Battle of Lookout Mountain, so I have not studied the battles in detail after that date. But I have been dying to go to Atlanta.

Birthplace: Richmond, Virginia

Father: Barrett White Walthall 1799 – 1881
(Buried: Hill Crest Cemetery, Holly Springs, Mississippi)
Mother: Sarah Southall 1807 – 1865
Wife: Mary Leckie 1833 – 1898

I still can't find him in the 1860 Census. I searched for his father---Barrett--- and got nothing. Then I searched for his mother---Sarah--- and I thought I found him. But this Edward is only 4 years old in 1860. And the father is listed as Benjamin. Edward Carey Walthall would be 29 at this time

Census__Benj-Walthall.JPG

Since this family has a female named Carey and a son named Edward, it might be possible that this family is the brother to Barrett Walthall.
{Edited} Oh! The Carey and Edward are from a different Family: Truman. I missed that.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that many folks haven't heard of General Walthall or knew much about him. I'm interested because he lived most of his life in Mississippi and my ancestor fought with him. As someone stated, he acted with General S. D. Lee to fight the rearguard action after the Battle of Nashville. I've never read anything negative about his leadership.

I get the feeling that many folks haven't heard of General Walthall or knew much about him. I'm interested because he lived most of his life in Mississippi and my ancestor fought with him. As someone stated, he acted with General S. D. Lee to fight the rearguard action after the Battle of Nashville. I've never read anything negative about his leadership.
I enjoyed visiting his grave and wondered if his house is still standing

I enjoyed visiting his grave and wondered if his house is still standing
I'm not sure. That is why I found your post so interesting---Why haven't I gone to visit the General?

I have the email address for the Director of the Marshall County Museum. I have already sent him an email inquiring about where he lived during the 1860 Census and what School he attended. Maybe he was studying out of state during the census. They may have a small paperback bio on General Walthall. He may not reply to my email anytime soon. If he does, I will ask about his home and other places he may have lived or worked.

Hmm. There is one home in Holly Springs that I drove past. It wasn't the Ida B. Well's Museum. It was a grey home. There is a Walthall Street on the East side of the town square.
Googling..... Googling.....
I think I found it

300 College Street - Not on Walthall Street
(Google screen shot)
Walthall House.JPG

That appears to match the one on this website: Walthall House 1848

I just feel like I let folks down
I have a biography that I want to post. I knew nothing about him 1 week ago. He had connections to the CS Navy and I don't know anything about navel warfare---not even how to spell it.
There were two interesting bits of info about this chap that I wanted to post about. Then I hope to hear what others have to add, especially the experts who focus on the navel.
:rolleyes:

I have a biography that I want to post. I knew nothing about him 1 week ago. He had connections to the CS Navy and I don't know anything about navel warfare---not even how to spell it.
There were two interesting bits of info about this chap that I wanted to post about. Then I hope to hear what others have to add, especially the experts who focus on the navel.
:rolleyes:
sounds good

Back