Walking Tour of Civil War Hospitals in Alexandria

NH Civil War Gal

Captain
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021

I tried to copy the map but it wouldn't let me. I was surprised that there are about 21 buildings that were hospitals. This brochure is 4 pages long.

I hope to do this tour within the next year or two myself.

Alexandria Civil War Hospitals Walking Tour This approximately 90-minute, 33-block tour of Old Town Alexandria’s Union Hospitals starts at the site of the Mansion House Hospital, the setting of the PBS drama Mercy Street. Alexandria was occupied by Union troops throughout the Civil War, and served as a logistics and hospital center.

The Union Army established over 30 hospitals which treated both Union and Confederate soldiers as well as freed slaves, who were referred to as contrabands. Many of the hospitals were in large public buildings and homes. Many are still standing.

Take a leisurely stroll through Old Town’s interesting streets to see them as they are today and to learn a little of their history.More information about and images of these and other nearby hospitals including stories and first-hand accounts from the nurses, doctors, patients, and visitors to Union hospitals can be found at: alexandriava.gov/historic/civilwar

Produced by: Alexandria Archaeology, Office of Historic Alexandria

Interesting brochure. What would make a good museum is one of them setup just as it was then.

Back