Wainwright-East Cemetery Hill

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

eBrowne

Private
Referring to July 2, Col. Wainwright recalled a single 20-lbs shot struck ten yards from him as he "sat on the stone wall between Cooper's and Weidrich's batteries, along with General Ames. One of these shot struck in the centre of a line of infantry who were lying down behind the wall. Taking the line lengthways, it ploughed up two or three yards of men, killing or wounding a dozen or more." A Diary of Battle, Col. Charles S. Wainwright, p. 243.
Is it known what regiment this shot struck? Is there a list of men killed and wounded?

rpkennedy

Major
Member of the Year
Referring to July 2, Col. Wainwright recalled a single 20-lbs shot struck ten yards from him as he "sat on the stone wall between Cooper's and Weidrich's batteries, along with General Ames. One of these shot struck in the centre of a line of infantry who were lying down behind the wall. Taking the line lengthways, it ploughed up two or three yards of men, killing or wounding a dozen or more." A Diary of Battle, Col. Charles S. Wainwright, p. 243.
Is it known what regiment this shot struck? Is there a list of men killed and wounded?
I have a list of killed for the New York and Pennsylvania regiments but (generally) isn't specific enough to know when exactly a man was hit.

Ryan

Tom Elmore

2nd Lieutenant
Member of the Year
I think the 153rd Pennsylvania was posted behind the wall (facing NNW) that divided Cooper from Wiedrich, from around 6:15 p.m. on July 1 until the early evening of July 2, when it was shifted to the base of the hill. However, I don't have any specific casualty information for the 153rd Pennsylvania during that time period. The angle and destructiveness of that particular shot points to a Confederate battery firing from Benner's hill - if I recall correctly, Raine's two 20-pounder Parrotts and Graham's four 20-pounder Parrotts were close by each other on an extension of that hill to the right rear, north of the Hanover road (Latimer's other guns were positioned south of that road).