VNMP is seeking your input

Tompre

Sergeant

9F3DAD96-9362-4390-A514-09F4CC86BDB6.jpeg

I wonder if all the feedback will be published. I found this part intersting.

explore new alignments for roadways, and assess the potential to upgrade or remove transportation infrastructure in the park.

I wonder if all the feedback will be published. I found this part intersting.

explore new alignments for roadways, and assess the potential to upgrade or remove transportation infrastructure in the park.
I take it that that means removing roadways/parking lots etc. entirely?

With the very peculiar soil makeup (loess which is less than 20% stable clay and the rest being sand or sediment)) of the area, I would think that any major changes to make the roadways more stable would be an expensive proposition and the NPS isn't known for wildly spending money on anything except their pet projects.

Last edited:
Old style parking lots that don’t have run off cisterns may contribute to the erosion issues. Same thing with roads that are not properly banked so that run off trickle rather than cascade down the shoulders. That soil, man, I don’t think I’d even want to do that on horseback after a rain!

I would hope that they would not propose removing the road system. I know the Federal government approaches everything in a weird way but I can't help believe that there is some bright civil engineer out there that has a solution. The erosion problem was why they planted all the darn trees that obscure the battlefield, I've been told.

I would hope that they would not propose removing the road system. I know the Federal government approaches everything in a weird way but I can't help believe that there is some bright civil engineer out there that has a solution. The erosion problem was why they planted all the darn trees that obscure the battlefield, I've been told.
The roads in and around the city aren’t collapsing. Why not have a chat with the Warren County Dept. of Public Works? Too easy?

Last edited:
Honestly if they were seriously contemplating removing the roads in the park the size would make most monuments unaccessible to the majority of the tourists.

Perhaps like many western parks opening it to atv/utv would be the alternative to regular roadways. Even major retailers realize the need to provide mobility scooters for accessibility anymore.....much less a park of over 2500 acres. Top of the Rock has an outstanding nature trail for example that is done by golf carts.

Last edited:
Honestly if they were seriously contemplating removing the roads in the park the size would make most monuments unaccessible to the majority of the tourists.

Perhaps like many western parks opening it to atv/utv would be the alternative to regular roadways. Even major retailers realize the need to provide mobility scooters for accessibility anymore.....much less a park of over 2500 acres. Top of the Rock has an outstanding nature trail for example that is done by golf carts.
If the people worrying about the removal of roads would view the links in the article, specifically https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/2f28bd0a761b44ce91c3cc77eef104fd it makes it very clear what the park's options are.

Nothing indicates removal of all the tour roads, but there are options about not replacing some of the damaged road and working to leave it as pedestrian or bike access rather than vehicle. That is only one of several options and only in a few specific places.

No need for so many people to speculate when it's all laid out in the link.

If the people worrying about the removal of roads would view the links in the article, specifically https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/2f28bd0a761b44ce91c3cc77eef104fd it makes it very clear what the park's options are.

Nothing indicates removal of all the tour roads, but there are options about not replacing some of the damaged road and working to leave it as pedestrian or bike access rather than vehicle. That is only one of several options and only in a few specific places.

No need for so many people to speculate when it's all laid out in the link.
I did......not replacing roads that went to parking and monuments would indeed impair some visitors.

With today's technology available, would think if anything they would look to increase accessibility, not reduce it.

View attachment 420761

Thanks for the photo.

It's much worse than I envisioned.

But I haven't been through the park within the last few years.

It’s the Jewish Cemetery. It was taken before the CCC restored the park
So I am wondering if the big gully in the front part of the photo is the valley that the yankees charged out of when they attacked the 2nd Texas Lunette? I can't tell for sure.

Back