Stonewall VMI Remembers Jackson

Very nice, James and thanks for posting. Do you know anymore about the history of the 10 cadets buried there? Why those 10 in particular (I'm assuming other VMI alumni were killed during the war)? Were they interred after the war?

Those aren't alumni - they didn't live long enough! They were killed or mortally wounded at the Battle of New Market while still members of the Corps of Cadets. VMI has a battle streamer attached to its flag just like regiments in the Regular Army do - for New Market. This is a distinction even the U.S.M.A. Cadets at West Point lack, since they never served as front line soldiers as a unit while still cadets. More about the battle: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-battle-of-new-market-may-15-1864.113540/

Thanks for catching that James! I'm laughing at myself right now! You are right, they (poor souls) didn't live long enough to be alumni. And thank you for explaining the battle streamer because I did not understand that.

I bumped this excellent thread. It is just so sad what is happening at VMI. These are priceless treasures. I wish I were a Millionaire, probably need to be billionaire and could buy them and put in a Museum before something happens to them.

These people have no idea of the historical value of these items. I just don't really know what to say.

View attachment 13158

I've been to Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia, on several occasions, beginning with the Civil War Centennial in 1961. The last time I was there, in April, 1998, I took these photos of the campus, and displays involving Jackson in the small museum there. The large main building seen above is an antebellum structure, though it was completely gutted by fire set by Union troops led by Gen. David Hunter in 1864. Centered between the two flagpoles is the statue of Jackson, gazing out over the parade ground. Flanking him are the 6-pounder guns, known as The Four Apostles: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, with which he trained his students in artillery practice and which accompanied them to First Manassas.

View attachment 13159

Among the priceless artifacts in the museum collection is the mounted hide of Jackson's famous mount, Little ( or Old ) Sorrel, along with his saddle, holsters, bridle, and tack.

View attachment 13160

The case above contains a display of items relating to Jackson's professorship there, including a blackboard from his classroom and the VMI professor's tunic he wore to the war and the First Battle of Manassas as well as the cap given him by his wife, Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, which he was wearing when he was mortally wounded at Chancellorsville.

View attachment 13161
View attachment 13162

Above is the unfortunate black rubberized raincoat he was also wearing when he was shot mistakenly by his own men at Chamcellorsville. The microscope supposedly came from his VMI classroom.

View attachment 13163

Also displayed in another case are the Confederate uniform, sword, and other belongings of Lt. Col. Scott Shipp, Commandant of Cadets at the 1864 Battle of New Market.

View attachment 13164

The rocking chair is said to have been a favorite of Jackson's, and the field desk was used by him, Richard Ewell, and Jubal Early while successively commanding the Army of Northern Virginia's Second Corps.
I understand VMI is taking down the Jackson statue ... https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...3b9490-1a05-11eb-aeec-b93bcc29a01b_story.html

Yeah that's being discussed in other more appropriate threads:

Very glad to see that the VMI still honors Jackson and Little Sorrel. I feel that many southern states are prone to bow under political pressure and remove every last shred of existence of the Confederacy. One of these days I would like to tour some of the Virginia battlefields, and VMI while I am at it.
Correct this if it be incorrect,Jackson only had two slaves.That the reason for fighting for the Confedercey was not maintaining the system but for the state of Virginia and Northern aggression into the state?

Yeah that's being discussed in other more appropriate threads:

If you start with little items as in removing something one fells offended by when will the history have to be altered as not to be offensive .Welcome to the Orwellian world.That is happening in public schools its called 1619.History shows us that we learn from the past that we mature as a result of these event,but that we do not live with the remindence of these events and regrets.This is not politics just reminding one of the purpose of history and the fact that to attempt to alter it to a social indoctrination of remorse or regret which happen generation ago then we fail in our progress as a still maturing adults.Alter or focus on one period and we slow or even halt this progress.There is a quote the goes "that we learn by our mistakes,,,,,the leaning does not require that we live in that wrong or continuously reminded of that." In the Bible it states that the sins of the father are not to be passed on to the son/daughters.SLAVERY was a wrong not an mistake or error it was a sin on one race we LEARNED .Those who participated in it for those generation and the sins of treatment of those people afterwards was a sin.We have progressed from those times HISTORY is there to instruct us as a professor does to his students or has grandparents to grandchildern

Last edited:
Back