Restricted VMI Keeps Stonewall

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
I had wondered if the SCV and the DCV could bond together and help create a dialogue with the municipalities where the monuments reside.

It happened here. Only problem is SCV leadership in Columbia will constantly refuse to do anything, while saying they're doing something. They're terrified of lawsuits, and are content to watch monuments come down if means they don't get sued.

Its a can of worms...

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
As a UDC Chapter officer, I received update on our headquarters in Richmond.. It is still being repaired. There was so much damage. It is costing thousands of dollars but us ladies are donating and we will bring it back to its glory.

There is security there 24 hours a day. People have tried again to destroy it several times. We will have to pay for security forever.

As to the graffiti on the building we are on our 3rd company trying to get it removed. It is hard to remove from marble. But we will keep at it until it is restored.

We ladies don't give up. We will protect our heritage. We all have backbone.

Paul Yancey

Sergeant
As a UDC Chapter officer, I received update on our headquarters in Richmond.. It is still being repaired. There was so much damage. It is costing thousands of dollars but us ladies are donating and we will bring it back to its glory.

There is security there 24 hours a day. People have tried again to destroy it several times. We will have to pay for security forever.

As to the graffiti on the building we are on our 3rd company trying to get it removed. It is hard to remove from marble. But we will keep at it until it is restored.

We ladies don't give up. We will protect our heritage. We all have backbone.
Three Cheers for the UDC and the great work that they do. I gladly sent a donation to the Richmond folks a little while back and I wish them the very best.

vmicraig

Sergeant

It seems that VMI still realizes that by far it's most well known member is Stonewall Jackson and chose to keep the statue because of that reason, in addition to others. However, the campaign to remove the statue is still ongoing despite this refusal and I doubt we have heard the last of this.
They decided to remove the state by a Board of Visitor unanimous vote

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host
The UDC HQ's in Richmond was vandalized & burned, early this summer when all the rioting & such was the craze. Richmond's pretty much been a war zone since....

Sorry as a Richmond native this is really inflammatory to my hometown. Richmond is not a war zone and we have not had rioting/protesting for months. I see several uninformed posters have used this language in this thread. I thought CWT was better than this to run down where people live.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Sorry as a Richmond native this is really inflammatory to my hometown. Richmond is not a war zone and we have not had rioting/protesting for months. I see several uninformed posters have used this language in this thread. I thought CWT was better than this to run down where people live.
Interesting. I thought you posted this the other day:

Groups have taken over the greenspace around Lee for whatever cause du jour they want at this point. The RPD has gone in a couple of times in the last month or two. People were taking power off the grid illegally to live there, cooking food illegally and people are just using the bathroom wherever they please in the neighborhood. The local news in Richmond at least has given up on the daily coverage of it so groups down there now have a really hard time getting media attention. The local media has moved on and doesn't care. The next big move will be whenever this judge decides on the lawsuits regarding the monument which should be this week.

Sounds pretty bad to me. Looked pretty bad when I drove through it not long ago myself. Groups taking over public land. Violence, Graffiti all over the place, folks defecating in public..... sounds like a war zone to me. How many people have been murdered in Richmond this year..? How about just since June..? Again, sounds like & looks like, a war zone to me.

Sorry if my opinion offends you. My opinion is just that, one man's opinion. Although, I am a native Virginian myself. At one time, I lived in the Richmond metro area. Wouldn't live there today for anything. While, you may not like my calling it a war zone... I was actually trying to be polite. It wasn't my first choice of words for it.

I weep for my beloved Virginia. That includes Richmond. I wish it wasn't what it has become. However, it is what it is.....

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant

Sorry if I offended you on me describing Richmond as a warzone in my post. Sounded like a good description to me. Anywhere this mess crops up tends to be like one from a political point-of-view.

I know back in June riots broke out in Memphis with them closing the city at 8:00pm and the TN State Trooper we talked to saying we were crazy to attempt going through, (with advice to be ready to defend ourselves with what he expected us Texans to have hidden), we managed to cross the Mississippi at 7:58 right as the National Guard was putting up barricades to lock down the city. The violence I saw, plus all the armored personnel carriers, and me almost being put into a life or death situation felt very much warzone-like to me.

I kind of assumed Richmond wasn't much different on an "off and on" basis at this point. So please accept my humble, and genuinely sincere apologies. I also went through Memphis again a couple of weeks ago and it was over, so maybe I should've known better....