Restricted VMI Board of Visitors to remove Jackson statue

jcaesar

Private
I can easily believe - in fact, I'd bet on it. Once we've given up and given in to the current climate of cancel culture there will no longer be any traditions or examples of past courage and strength allowed that promote love of country for anyone to follow; all traditions before 1968 will be denigrated and/or removed from public memory. I felt much like this during what should've been MY war, the bloodbath and folly that was Vietnam - only the great traditions of past accomplishments kept me among the faithful and patriotic citizenry and out of the mass of the anti-war crowd of Commies, hippies, and other losers.

People need their history and its traditions as do nations and most certainly armies.

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
People need their history and its traditions as do nations and most certainly armies.
Indeed; if nations have no traditions to look back upon, they essentially have no cohesion, while their armies will have little or NO reason to fight. As a supposedly military academy, VMI is theoretically still preparing leaders for the army; minus its traditions it will be just another ivy league college, no doubt exactly what the regents as well as the bureaucrats in both Richmond and Washington have in mind.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
I can easily believe - in fact, I'd bet on it. Once we've given up and given in to the current climate of cancel culture there will no longer be any traditions or examples of past courage and strength allowed that promote love of country for anyone to follow; all traditions before 1968 will be denigrated and/or removed from public memory. I felt much like this during what should've been MY war, the bloodbath and folly that was Vietnam - only the great traditions of past accomplishments kept me among the faithful and patriotic citizenry and out of the mass of the anti-war crowd of Commies, hippies, and other losers.

James N. ,

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

The history of my country shows trials and tribulations that would have destroyed a lesser nation. That's not my country.

To believe our people, the citizens of the United States, would be so cowardly, so indifferent, so self-centered as to forget the countless men and women, soldiers AND civilians, who sacrificed, time and time again, to make this a free nation, a stronger nation, a safe nation that I grew up in, is impossible for me to believe.

Have we reached the point where we no longer believe that millions of our fellow citizens, cannot be aroused or focused on certain threats and issues before our nation? It's true, it takes a huge amount of time to gain that attention, that we as a people, are slow to anger and to focus our attention. I feel that is a good thing. But I've seen in my lifetime that anger and that focus, and it's nothing to dismiss in a fit of frustration.

The point is, does anyone believe that the current VMI will utterly collapse when the Jackson statue is moved? Is there anyone that believes that without that statue, the VMI has nothing worth preserving? That the staff, faculty, and current student body, will quickly bail on the institution and make no effort to keep it?

If ANY of the above is true, and the courage and dedication to the overall institution vanishes, then it deserves to die.

I myself, think it should strive to keep it's integrity, it's high academic reputation, and move forward instead of mourning the past and looking backwards.

If it can't, if it lacks such faith in itself over the loss of a piece of stone, if it cannot find within itself the courage to move forward, it's lost.

Now let's see how it feels about itself and what it is going to do to face the future.

Unionblue

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
James N. ,

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

The history of my country shows trials and tribulations that would have destroyed a lesser nation. That's not my country.

To believe our people, the citizens of the United States, would be so cowardly, so indifferent, so self-centered as to forget the countless men and women, soldiers AND civilians, who sacrificed, time and time again, to make this a free nation, a stronger nation, a safe nation that I grew up in, is impossible for me to believe.

Have we reached the point where we no longer believe that millions of our fellow citizens, cannot be aroused or focused on certain threats and issues before our nation? It's true, it takes a huge amount of time to gain that attention, that we as a people, are slow to anger and to focus our attention. I feel that is a good thing. But I've seen in my lifetime that anger and that focus, and it's nothing to dismiss in a fit of frustration...

Unionblue
The country we now inhabit is not the same country that either you or I grew up up in; I dare say it's not MY country anymore.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
The country we now inhabit is not the same country that either you or I grew up up in; I dare say it's not MY country anymore.

Sorry you feel that way, James.

It's my country even when things don't go the way I think it should. Through the good and the bad, the United States has a way of coming back from the brink.

It will this time too.

And that's not a guess, it's a fact.