GA Visiting the Patrick R. Cleburne Confederate Cemetery in Joneboro, Georgia

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
clecem.JPG

On Saturday, I visited the Patrick R. Cleburne Confederate Cemetery in Jonesboro, Georgia. The cemetery mainly contains the remains of Confederate soldiers killed in the August 31-Sept. 2, 1864 fighting around Joneboro during the Siege of Atlanta. However, the area had a number of buildings used as hospitals for Confederate wounded both before and after the battle, so not all of men who lie here were casualties of the Battle of Jonesborough. The cemetery is a Reconstruction Era creation, opening in 1872. The gate is from 1934 and was put up by the Atlanta Ladies Memorial Association.

Last edited:
clecem2.JPG

Apparently, by the 1930s the cemetery was in bad shape. The tin markers that marked the graves were gone, apparently stolen over the years, and there was little to record that a cemetery existed there. The Ladies Memorial Association made efforts to preserve this largely forgotten cemetery. They put fencing around it and added a gate and a large monument.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Great photos. Why were you in Georgia? I may have missed why you were taking trip.
Thanks. Six of my family are Georgians, and one was celebrating her 65th birthday. In 28 hours I managed to go to her party, do a family brunch, visit six sites connected to James Longstreet, visit the Confederate cemetery, and retrace the Battle of Jonesborough. All in 93 degree heat!

Back