Visiting Sites of the Great Locomotive Chase, 2018

1555008460251.png

A *BUMP* for tomorrow's anniversary of this perennial favorite Civil War event!

Did Fess Parker play the southern engineer (the chaser)or the yankee train thief(the chased) in the Disney Movie? I haven't seen it in almost 60 years.
Parker played the Kentuckian James Andrews, leader of the raid; Fuller was nicely portrayed by Jeffrey Hunter below, possibly best known for his later title role as Christ in King Of Kings. There were several other notables in the cast including Jeff York (Lil' Abner) as the most troublesome of the raiders and Slim Pickens as the engineer of the Texas.

1618249570193.png

1618328881076.png

Did Fess Parker play the southern engineer (the chaser)or the yankee train thief(the chased) in the Disney Movie? I haven't seen it in almost 60 years.
Thanks, I was wondering how they worked that Texas Accent into it. Kentuckian you say?
One of my favorites. A heroic tale of Union agents attempting to disrupt rail transport with an equally heroic tale of a Southern conductor determined to recapture his commandeered train at all hazards.
In case anyone wants to watch it, the Disney version is eminently available on DVD. Although it certainly has historical "problems" and is generally simplistic and melodramatic in tone, it actually sticks to the story and doesn't clutter it up with any silly romances or moralistic self-righteousness like would no doubt be the case today. The best part about it is that it was actually filmed on an abandoned line in northeast Georgia (so the scenery is a close match for the original locations) and the "stars" are two reconditioned period locomotives from the B&O RR Museum! Nitpickers can complain that the switch engine Yonah is the wrong kind, but it at least allows a different type to be seen.

Last edited:
Bill, that appears to be the Texas before it was reworked into a proper state of 1880's Political Correctness so as to not offend the delicate sensibilities of the present citizenry of Atlanta; too bad both of them aren't at the Georgia CW and Locomotive Museum in Kennesaw!

I captured this photo of the Texas at the Atlanta Cyclorama in 2014.

I wish both were located at the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History.

Bill

James N. Not sure if you've seen this before. Just going through my pics from last December and I remembered I'd stumbled across this roadside sign.

IMG_5732.JPG

It's located at approx 1800 TN-64 E (Wartrace Pike) between Shelbyville and Wartrace
Do you know how they were able to get down to Big Shanty, would it have been by rail or road?

James N. Not sure if you've seen this before. Just going through my pics from last December and I remembered I'd stumbled across this roadside sign.

View attachment 432561
It's located at approx 1800 TN-64 E (Wartrace Pike) between Shelbyville and Wartrace
Do you know how they were able to get down to Big Shanty, would it have been by rail or road?
Thanks for posting another relevant location site, one I'm pretty sure I haven't seen before! The ultimate authority on the Andrews Raid is Stealing the General which I mentioned above and reviewed here:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stealing-the-general-by-russell-s-bonds.155333/

After Andrews selected his party the members were told to travel independently or in small groups to rendezvous at Marietta by whatever means possible, including travel overland. There were only a couple of routes that would've allowed travel by rail, from Chattanooga or Rome, the latter a spur line intersecting the W&ARR at Kingston; both of those were Confederate-held supply centers therefore dangerous places likely best to avoid. (Despite the problems only two failed to make the rendezvous in time.) many of the survivors of the raid left memoirs indicating their various routes and modes of travel which was quoted extensively in the book, but unfortunately at this distance I don't remember any specifics.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting another relevant location site, one I'm pretty sure I haven't seen before! The ultimate authority on the Andrews Raid is Stealing the General which I mentioned above and reviewed here:

After Andrews selected his party the members were told to travel independently or in small groups to rendezvous at Marietta by whatever means possible, including travel overland. There were only a couple of routes that would've allowed travel by rail, from Chattanooga or Rome, the latter a spur line intersecting the W&ARR at Kingston; both of those were Confederate-held supply centers therefore dangerous places likely best to avoid. (Despite the problems only two failed to make the rendezvous in time.) many of the survivors of the raid left memoirs indicating their various routes and modes of travel which was quoted extensively in the book, but unfortunately at this distance I don't remember any specifics.
Many thanks James, I knew you'd know the answer.:thumbsup:

Back