Visiting a Confederate, and several Union, Graves in Patchogue on Long Island, NY

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
lakeview.JPG

@John Hartwell asked me about Confederate veterans buried at a cemetery which apparently no longer exists. According to a clipping from the 1890s, a Confederate Veterans post in NYC had arranged for a Confederate veterans plot at "Willow Grove Cemetery" on "Long Island." A friend told me that she had visited an "Old Willows Cemetery" in Patchogue as a girl. I headed out there this morning and thought I hit pay dirt when I saw from the street a modern Confederate tombstone at the Lakeview Cemetery.

Last edited:
Not long after I visited the grave, I got an e-mail from another Kemp. He was a descendant of the William Kemp whom I had just visited with! I had sent an email earlier in the day to the Patchogue cemetery association, and one of the members had sent my inquiry to Richard, who coincidentally e-mailed me almost at the same time I was at the grave site.

Last edited:
Interesting. But probably not the burial plot of the Confederate Camp of New York, which was only founded in 1890 (the grave is from 1880). Also keep in mind the description: "In the event of death, the poor comrade may be decently buried in the plot belonging to the Camp in Willow Grove Cemetery, on Long Island, the Chaplain of the Camp officiating." It may have been at that point intended for poor, indigent veterans, and thus served as a paupers' lot, and might not have gravestones at all -- no evidence to support that, but a possibility. The idea of a separate memorial place for all members might have arisen later.

Also, the William L. Kemp 1880 gravestone is clearly quite new.

@John Hartwell asked me about Confederate veterans buried at a cemetery which apparently no longer exists. According to a clipping from the 1890s, a Confederate Veterans post in NYC had arranged for a Confederate veterans plot at "Willow Grove Cemetery" on "Long Island." A friend told me that she had visited an "Old Willows Cemetery" in Patchogue as a girl. I headed out there this morning and thought I hit pay dirt when I saw from the street a modern Confederate tombstone at the Lakeview Cemetery.

View attachment 210632
Is that the same cemetery with the two brothers from Maryland ? One Confederate one union
I remember that post I really enjoyed it

Did you put flowers on that grave since it is Veterans Day.

Lakeview Cemetery is located in Patchogue, a small village on Long Island's South Shore. The cemetery was incorporated in 1899, but burials on the grounds began in 1794. The early cemetery was called the "Union Cemetery" because several Protestant churches buried their dead together.

While the cemetery is well maintained, it has lost its view of Patchogue Lake for which it was named. The Civil War veterans' graves seem to mostly have new tombstones, but the earliest tombstones show some damage from the elements and accidents.

Unlike most Long Island graveyards which are set away from the villages that they serve, this one is right on the village's main street.

lakeview2.JPG

Dolan's occupation is listed as "Fisherman", a common one in Patchogue. The village was known for its fishermen and baymen who harvested fish and shellfish. Blue Point Oysters, beloved in New York City, come from the waters off Patchogue in the Great South Bay.

Here are 1868 records showing that pension applications had been received on behalf of his widow and children.

mott3.JPG

Last edited:
Back