Visit to Hollywood Cemetery

Very nice pictures! Hollywood Cemetery is full of Generals, Colonels, Statesmen, Surgeons, Assistant Surgeons, and all other officers and common soldiers. One that means a lot to me every time I visit is my great great great great uncle who is buried in the Soldiers section who until recently didn't have a marker. You see the family always wondered what happened to Private Peters but no one ever could locate his grave. I grew up hearing this story from my granny who taught me the love of history. Well growing up and as an adult I was always determined to find Private Peters grave and I did locate it about 8 years ago. It made me feel joyed to find my uncle who marched from his home in Georgia and died in 1862 with smallpox. I have also photographed officers, surgeons, assistant surgeons, politicians and other graves in Hollywood Cemetery. Some people forget Dr. Hunter McGuire is buried in Hollywood Cemetery as well as Major James Power Smith both of Stonewall Jackson's staff. One of the saddest graves is the children of General Longstreet who died during the war as you come in the gate they are buried at the start of the cemetery sections. Also I have always saluted and remembered all of the Unknown Soldiers who lost their lives on the field of battle.

Rob what process did you have to go through to get a marker for your relative? Mine that is in the Confederate soldiers section only has one of the little small number markers

20210531_155410.jpg

Great pics, and lots of terrific info from everyone! I’ve been to Hollywood four or five times over the years, and it’s one of my “favorite” cemeteries to visit. The views of the James from the Davis circle are really nice, and there’s an old, stately feeling in the entire place. In about a month, the crape myrtles will be blooming, adding color to the mix.

Back