Visit to Chickamauga NMP, October, 2018

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Viniard Field
DSC06466.JPG

Above, the three-sided pyramidal Mortuary Monument dedicated to Union brigade commander Col. Hans Heg of Norway who fell here leading his men on the battle's first full day, September 19, 1863..

DSC06467.JPG

Above and below, monument and marker for Captain Eli Lilly's 18th Indiana Battery of Wilder's Lightning Brigade.

DSC06468.JPG

Rosecrans' Headquarters at Widow Glenn's and Wilder Tower
DSC06469.JPG

The largest monument on Chickamauga Battlefield was erected by Union Gen. John Wilder, commander of the Lightning Brigade of mounted infantry and is dedicated to all soldiers who fought here, North and South.

DSC06470.JPG

The log cabin owned by the Widow Glenn served as the headquarters of Union commanding general William H. Rosecrans; below, monument of the 10th Ohio Regiment which served as Headquarters Guard of the Army of the Cumberland.

DSC06471.JPG

Longstreet's Breakthrough
DSC06481.JPG

Above, Alabama regimental markers on the step-off line for the September 20 Confederate assault of James Longstreet's Wing which broke through the Union right center; below, monument dedicated to Gen. Bradley T. Johnson whose division spearheaded the attack.

DSC06482.JPG

DSC06479.JPG

Above, members of our group gather at the reconstructed Brotherton House, scene of Longstreet's Breakthrough.

DSC06483.JPG

The Union center was pushed back to the field above, threatening Rosecrans' new headquarters position on the hill in the far background, from which the general and many of his troops fled back towards Chattanooga through Rossville Gap in Missionary Ridge.

DSC06484.JPG

From the eminence in the background now known as Lytle Hill the Union division commanded by Brig. Gen. William Lytle counterattacked in a futile effort to stem the Confederate advance.

DSC06485.JPG

Above, pyramid of cannonballs marking the site of the field headquarters of Maj. Gen. John B. Hood, commanding Longstreet's Corps while Longstreet led the Left Wing of Braxton Bragg's Army of Tennessee.
Below, ground across which Brig. Gen. Jerome B. Robertson's Texas Brigade (formerly Hood's) attacked the spur ridge of Snodgrass Hill. Hood was seriously wounded near here directing the attack against massed Federal artillery on the ridge at left.

DSC06486.JPG

Snodgrass Hill and Cabin
DSC06473.JPG

Chickamauga is probably best-remembered for the stand by units under Maj. Gen. George H. Thomas, "The Rock of Chickamauga", here on Snodgrass Hill. above, monument to the 2d Minnesota of Thomas' corps.

DSC06474.JPG

DSC06475.JPG

Thomas made his headquarters in the Snodgrass House above which soon became another field hospital.

DSC06476.JPG

Union artillery here at the Snodgrass cabin blasted back repeated Confederate attempts to seize the position; as evening drew a veil of darkness over the carnage Thomas began to withdraw his weary men and follow the retreat of Rosecrans' army to Chattanooga.

DSC06478.JPG

DSC06477 crop.jpg

Above and below, members of our group at Snodgrass Hill.

DSC06487.JPG

Above and below, members of our group at Snodgrass Hill.

Maybe the members could identify themselves? Great photos, James!

Nice pictures. The first one of Col. Hans C. Heg: He was born 10 mins from where I was born and raised in my hometown. His Regiment was almost entirely Norwegian.
There is a statue of him at his birthplace. I'll stop by and take pictures of it the next time I am visiting my parents.

Nice pictures, I've gotta get out there one day. My GG-Grandfather said that after Chickamauga was over where he was "you could walk across the field and never touch the ground for all the bodies". I wonder if a monument was ever built to his regiment, Hilliard's Legion, y'all seem to have been near where they were at, I think.

This is the mortuary monument for Colonel Everett Peabody at Shiloh. Notice the difference in the monuments of Heg and Peabody. Chickamauga was established first so I wonder if they difference in the monuments was due to the choice of the superintendents or if there were extra tubes availiable when Shiloh was established 4 years later in 1894?
Regards
David
1568822426890.png

Back