Restricted Virginia taxpayers hit hard for cost of removing Confederate monuments

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMWinkler

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
In Portsmouth, Virginia, city Councilman Dr. Mark Whitaker has called on the city to solicit proposals to tear down a memorial to Virginians who served the Confederacy during the Civil War. The monument to the Confederate death is a prominent landmark in the downtown area of the city at the intersection of High and Court streets. The Norfolk Naval Yard is located in Portsmouth, which is part of the greater Hampton Roads metropolitan area in Norfolk County.

When Whitaker called for proposals on February 9, some of his colleagues said they would rather wait for a court decision on the monument. Whitaker said that this would not mean spelling out the payment for the monument’s removal but to merely determine the cost of the removal.

More: http://www.speroforum.com/a/ZJEGDEE...f-removing-Confederate-monuments#.VrzfL1IY1lS

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Look at the cost to taxpayers to move one monument. Now think about the hundreds or thousands that sit all around the South. Think of the millions that will be spent, both in court and in moving monuments for those that are allowed to do so. Is this seriously a wise use of public money? Will it accomplish anything other than further social division? I can't see any healing coming from this trend. Not to mention that many of these monuments are historical objects themselves at this point, as well as works of art.

Sorry, don't mean to bring up recent history/politics. But this purge mentality reminds me of extremists in the Middle East blowing up cultural monuments that don't "jibe" with their philosophy...

Do you think you would feel quite the same way about it if you were being asked to decide the fate of a monument that was erected by people who were contemptuous of your kind, in order to honor and celebrate the efforts of their ancestors to keep your ancestors in chains? Monuments offer a perspective not only on the deeds or events they memorialize, but on the values and the attitudes of those who erected the monuments. Collectively, the monuments the South has erected to the actors and events of the Civil War tell a story of whose legacy and ancestry was considered important by those in power, and whose was not. Those historical markers of the evolution of our collective national consciousness should be changed only with great care and circumspection. Yet, that is not the only consideration.

If I didn't believe that preserving the past, and in preserving Civil War history in particular, was important, I wouldn't post on this website. No monument should be moved or demolished lightly. But neither should any monument get a free pass just because it is old. Calls to freeze the way we look at the past unconditionally now come most often from those whose group's opinions prevailed unchallenged in the past, and whose control of the discussion now is threatened. Every monument to every deed or event can reasonably be periodically reevaluated based on a changed appraisal of its historical significance, and the nature of its message about the events or individuals that it commemorates.

Last edited:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
How many of us still worship at the Temple of Zeus? Attend worship for the God of War in the Temple of Mars?

How many of us in each state of this Union have a vested interest in every Civil War monument?

I am of the view that each statue or monument should be taken on a case-by-case review and then its continuation or removal or it's updating should be decided by the people in whose jurisdiction it resides.

Not all of the people decided to erect such. But all should decide on what should remain.

Unionblue

huskerblitz

Major
How many of us still worship at the Temple of Zeus? Attend worship for the God of War in the Temple of Mars?

How many of us in each state of this Union have a vested interest in every Civil War monument?

I am of the view that each statue or monument should be taken on a case-by-case review and then its continuation or removal or it's updating should be decided by the people in whose jurisdiction it resides.

Not all of the people decided to erect such. But all should decide on what should remain.

Unionblue
So since no one still worships Zeus or any other Greek gods you would favor Greece removing those ancient monuments?
What about that guy who said if he came to power in Egypt he would tear down the pyramids at Giza because an ancient faith may somehow interlope into modern worship?

Last edited:

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
So since no one still worships Zeus or any other Greek gods you would favor Greece removing those ancient monuments?

It would be their call, would it not?

What about that guy who said if he came to power in Egypt he would tear down the pyramids at Giza because modern faith may somehow interlope into modern worship?

Again, it's the people's call if they permit him to do such.

I'm saying people are going to decide what monuments mean to them, now and in the future. Right now, as of this date, how many Americans care one whit about the fate of historical monuments? Especially those dedicated to Confederate memory?

Instead of the constant refrain of a few who state, over and over, of history being destroyed because a question arises about keeping or removing a particular Confederate memorial, what does the community say? The citizens of a town or city or state? The case should be made to these folks why it is in their interest to keep such or remove such. In 100, 200, 300 years or 1,000 how important will it be to clean the bird **** off of these monuments? It won't be our concern as we will have long left this mortal coil.

Let people, ALL of the people decide what to do with them.

Unionblue

millerpsc

Sergeant
If Germany wanted to make a memorial to German soldiers who died in WWII I would have zero problems with it, even though those soldiers fought to protect a government that killed millions of innocent people in concentration camps. The reason I don't have a problem with it is because those soldiers died in the line of duty, some as volunteers and some as conscripts. That being said how many of our ancestors died in the ACW as conscripts? They still deserve to be remembered for their sacrifice. That's just my opinion though

millerpsc

Sergeant
Monuments aren't history. They're propaganda. And a lot of the residents of these towns don't like the message.
Is that ALL monuments or just confederate monuments? If it's all then Gettysburg has a lot of propaganda. When I see a monument I don't see propaganda I see a sign of someone's attempt to tell people of many generations what happened there.

Status
Not open for further replies.