Virginia rails from July 1, 1865 to February 28, 1866

Lubliner

Major
Forum Host
Statistical evidence for passengers and troops that were carried after the close of the war, on each line:
Alexandria railroads includes (and Manassas Gap, Loudon and Hampshire Railroad?)- 12,500.
Winchester (Fredericksburg?) and Potomac Railroad- 41,200.
Richmond and Danville Railroad- 2,405.
Southside Railroad- 18,840.
Richmond and Petersburg Railroad (and Weldon?)- 1,308.
*Including Virginia Central (which?)?
Total- 76,343.
The engines and cars were leased to the company on bond at a total of $42,521.
The estimated value of the property on military railroads was listed at $105,864.
The total expense for moving materials to the railroad companies carried by bond; $346,125.65.
From the reports gathered it seems the financial dividends on capital interests were given a healthy prospect of workloads for a future in rebuilding the new infrastructure.
Lubliner.

Statistical evidence for passengers and troops that were carried after the close of the war, on each line:
Alexandria railroads includes (and Manassas Gap, Loudon and Hampshire Railroad?)- 12,500.
Winchester (Fredericksburg?) and Potomac Railroad- 41,200.
Richmond and Danville Railroad- 2,405.
Southside Railroad- 18,840.
Richmond and Petersburg Railroad (and Weldon?)- 1,308.
*Including Virginia Central (which?)?
Total- 76,343.
The engines and cars were leased to the company on bond at a total of $42,521.
The estimated value of the property on military railroads was listed at $105,864.
The total expense for moving materials to the railroad companies carried by bond; $346,125.65.
From the reports gathered it seems the financial dividends on capital interests were given a healthy prospect of workloads for a future in rebuilding the new infrastructure.
Lubliner.
Would you give us the source for this information, please? Whoever put it together did not know anything about the railroads he was reporting on.

Sorry about that, but are you to dispute Official Records? Series III Volume 5, pages 598 and 599. I will enjoy the opportunity to hear what your discrepancies are based upon. Now I know nothing is perfectly reported from one Hierarchy to the other agencies, maybe. But these figures were tallied up and I know you are involved in detailed analyses of railroads to a very degree. May I know the sources you have that differ?
Please, my apology.
Lubliner.

Sorry about that, but are you to dispute Official Records? Series III Volume 5, pages 598 and 599. I will enjoy the opportunity to hear what your discrepancies are based upon. Now I know nothing is perfectly reported from one Hierarchy to the other agencies, maybe. But these figures were tallied up and I know you are involved in detailed analyses of railroads to a very degree. May I know the sources you have that differ?
Please, my apology.
Lubliner.
The first point of importance is that these are Union figures, only. Second, on page 597, the Winchester and Potomac RR is defined as the Winchester to Potomac RR (running from Winchester to Stephenson's, so not the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac RR); the Alexandria railroads include the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire, the Orange & Alexandria and the Alexandria, Washington & Georgetown RRs; the Richmond & Petersburg was the road of that name; and the Norfolk & Petersburg was the road of that name.

Many of the road mentioned in the report were turned over to their shareholders well before the end date of the report. On those roads, leased rolling stock continued to be run by the US authorities and that is what the rental of rolling stock shows.

The returned roads were heavily involved in the repatriation of Confederate POWs (at no cost to the soldiers) and that work is not included in these reports.

The first point of importance is that these are Union figures, only. Second, on page 597, the Winchester and Potomac RR is defined as the Winchester to Potomac RR (running from Winchester to Stephenson's, so not the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac RR); the Alexandria railroads include the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire, the Orange & Alexandria and the Alexandria, Washington & Georgetown RRs; the Richmond & Petersburg was the road of that name; and the Norfolk & Petersburg was the road of that name.

Many of the road mentioned in the report were turned over to their shareholders well before the end date of the report. On those roads, leased rolling stock continued to be run by the US authorities and that is what the rental of rolling stock shows.

The returned roads were heavily involved in the repatriation of Confederate POWs (at no cost to the soldiers) and that work is not included in these reports.
I see how I misunderstood your comment. See all those question marks up there in the OP. That will give you a clue to it. I was wondering if you see the expenditure costs as relatively accurate. These were compiled from three different tables, for three categories, and all the names of the systems were definitely incomplete, as I understood it. The numbers though, are they accurate for the given data? Thank you for your help in clarity.
Lubliner.

I see how I misunderstood your comment. See all those question marks up there in the OP. That will give you a clue to it. I was wondering if you see the expenditure costs as relatively accurate. These were compiled from three different tables, for three categories, and all the names of the systems were definitely incomplete, as I understood it. The numbers though, are they accurate for the given data? Thank you for your help in clarity.
Lubliner.
Your totals are probably correct, but I'm not sure what you make of them. What are you trying to do?

I was trying to inject the Forum with some material to start up a discussion, and see where it would go.
Lubliner.
If someone else had posted those numbers, what would they say to you? Give us an opinion or conclusion and we will jump in. I'm all for discussion, but someone needs to see something to discuss.

It will usually help to provide the source when presenting such numbers or someone else's opinion.

If someone else had posted those numbers, what would they say to you? Give us an opinion or conclusion and we will jump in. I'm all for discussion, but someone needs to see something to discuss.

It will usually help to provide the source when presenting such numbers or someone else's opinion.
You have most of your posts recently centered around the Virginia Central Railroad I believe, and are extremely familiar with many, if not all the figures and facts of data available. It is as @steamman commented, a difficult topic to identify any specific category that has discussion without facts and figures being involved. For instance, naming men that worked on the rails, or in the shops, once the match has been struck, where can it proceed to remain specifically within the railroad theme? I prefer to keep it without debate and being a Host on this site my own input has been regulated for that regard. If you have a suggestion to help advance some lively discussion without snuffing it out by a bold fact, I would be very grateful. Thank you.
Lubliner.

Back