Virginia Milita Uniform 1861

Johnny_Reb_1865

Sergeant
c1a06d1d26e6cd9aeff78201c03690e1.jpg

Here is an unidentified fellow who served with the Virginia State Milita wearing a regulation frockcoat.

(I think he may have been an officer but I'm not sure correct me if I'm wrong)

What would the enlisted men of the Virginia Milita have worn?

Frockcoats or shell jackets?

Can someone please help me out with this?

Virginia Militia Uniform Regulations
From the 1858 The Militia Law of Virginia pp. 111-118
Coat
"All officers are to wear a frock coat of dark blue cloth; the skirt to extend from two-thirds to three-fourths of the distance from the top of the hip to the bend of the knee; single-breasted for captains and lieutenants; double-breasted for all other grades. For cavalry - Same color, material, &c. as above; collar and cuffs to be edged with a cord or welt of yellow cloth. For artillery - The same as for cavalry; trimmings of scarlet cloth. For infantry - The same as for artillery; trimmings of sky blue cloth. For riflemen - The same as for infantry; trimmings of emerald green cloth."

I’m not an expert on Southern uniforms, but generally pre-war enlisted militia men would have worn frock coats, assuming they were following similar regulations to those of the US Army of the time. The regulations you quoted are pretty much verbatim the same as the US Army Regulations. This guy seems to have shoulder bars, and a nine button frock which would make him a company grade officer. If I had to guess, I’d say 2nd Lt?

Frock coats were very popular early on and stayed so for officers but enlisted men were changed over to the much easier to produce shell jackets once the clothing depots started to get cranking. The militia men most likely started the war in their regulation militia uniforms but I'm sure changed to regular issued uniforms when they became available.

I don't mean to side track the conversation but it's a terrific picture. I'm biased though- smitten by men's cravats. They're MUCH more attractive than ties, wish they'd ditch those things and bring these back. Doesn't it add dignity you just don't get from those flapping bits of cloth inflicted on men as ' fashion '?

va 1861 cravat.jpg

I’m not an expert on Southern uniforms, but generally pre-war enlisted militia men would have worn frock coats, assuming they were following similar regulations to those of the US Army of the time. The regulations you quoted are pretty much verbatim the same as the US Army Regulations. This guy seems to have shoulder bars, and a nine button frock which would make him a company grade officer. If I had to guess, I’d say 2nd Lt?

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't sure if he was cavalry or an officer.
I don't know much about prewar Milita uniforms.

Frock coats were very popular early on and stayed so for officers but enlisted men were changed over to the much easier to produce shell jackets once the clothing depots started to get cranking. The militia men most likely started the war in their regulation militia uniforms but I'm sure changed to regular issued uniforms when they became available.
So would an enlisted man in the Virginia State Milita have worn a frock coat or a shelljacket?

Some militia units would have worn coatees (tail coats) as well. Some militia companies would have had dress uniforms as well as undress or fatigue uniforms.

originalCMG-1.jpg

Company A 31st Virginia Militia, the Continental Morgan Guard, organized July 4, 1855. Entered Confederate service as Company K 5th Virginia June 20, 1861.

cmgcoat.jpg

Resembling a Revolutionary War uniform, 31st militia wore doe skin breeches, black top boots, buff cashmere waste coats & black trim-corner hats with a flowing white swan plume. They also wore white shirts with a ruffled front.

Many militia companies adopted Revolutionary War style uniforms during the 75th anniversary in 1851. This style was picked up by anti immigrant groups who formed militia or other groups for parades. From 1851 to 1860 Revolutionary War style uniforms were see in Northern and Southern states.

Back