Vintage Cookbooks

Here is a recipe from an old cookbooks whose site I will list soon,this one is from:
"BETTER MEALS FOR LESS MONEY"(1917)
Author is Mary Green
Jellied Prunes and Cranberries
1Cup Prunes
Boiling water
1 cup Cranberries chopped
1 cup Sugar
1/2 box gelatin
1/2 cup cold water.
Wash prunes,and soak overnight in water to cover,cook until soft in same water,drain measure juice,and add enough boiling water to make 3 cups;put Cranberries in a colander and rinse off the seeds with running water;drain and add to water,add sugar,and cook 10mins.;add gelatin soaked in cold water;stone the prunes;cut in quarters,add to cranberries,then into a mold,and chill.

This website has about 150 cookbooks online from pre-1800 up 1920.
Some are pdf files and others are embedded views.
This is a huge important resource.

http://vintagecookbooks.healthyeatingandlifestyle.org/index.html

Thanks for posting this. I've copied/pasted to my Civil War Notes folder in my computer. Have been busier than usual lately and not had a chance to peruse the website, afraid I'll find all sorts of things to buy :smile: But will definitely look it over thoroughly.

Anyway, I had mentioned on @Eleanor Rose post "The Most Popular Cookbook 1837," about Miss Leslie's cookbook that I had purchased a copy of Fannie Farmer's "The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book," on eBay and wanted to share a few pics with our fellow vintage cookbook enthusiasts.
The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book.JPG

Apparently, from my research thus far, is this is a 4th Edition, printed in 1927, revised by Cora D. Perkins (whom I believe was Fannie Farmer's sister); according to http://historiccookingschool.com/boston-cooking-school-editions/

Cora D. Perkin's "Preface to the New Edition," is dated Boston, July, 1923 and signed C. D. P.
  • 4th edition, 1923. 808 pp. (Publisher: Little, Brown & Co.; probably revised by Fannie’s sister/executor of the estate, Cora Farmer Perkins; incorporates Fannie Farmer’s 1912 book, A New Book of Cookery, and about 40 additional ages at the back of book.)
  • 4th edition, reprint, 1927 (Publisher: Little, Brown & Co.; probably revised by Cora Farmer Perkins)
This is the inside cover-page:

The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book (1).JPG

I was so excited to receive this in the mail while I was away dog-sitting for a friend this week. I had to share! Hopefully, will try some recipes over the holidays and share them as well.

Of note, the First Edition of this cookbook was printed in 1896...

Last edited:
What a great find, @nitrofd !

I tease my mom about her "vintage" cookbooks (from the 40s and 50s). What's cute about hers is that they were put together for a bride by the women in her family, her circle of friends, and her neighborhood.

Back