History Vinegar History and Uses

Your drains are clogged. Put baking soda down the drain pushing it along with a little water. Add vinegar and water and chemical explosions happen and viola - the drain's cleared immediately without waiting and waiting. Ya just hear fizzing. Does not harm pipes.

Yes, @1950lemans, this works great! We've used this method for years as an alternative to chemical drain cleaners. Cheaper and more environmentally friendly.

For cooking we use red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and rice wine vinegar. For cleaning, plain white vinegar and apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar was the only thing to rid our pets' pillow and blanket of cat urine smell after our cat was confined to a crate following surgery. None of the commercial detergents or cleaners even came close.

View attachment 127547

Vinegar has a long history. It actually has been found in Egyptian Urns dating back to about 3000BC. It was used in many cultures through the ages.

There are many varieties of vinegar. Some of them are apple cider, balsamic. cane, distilled, fruit, malt, and rice. It is usually used in food preparation. Uses include pickling, vinaigrettes, and salad dressings. Many marinades contain vinegar. It is also used in ketchups, mustard and mayonnaise.

Vinegar usually lasts indefinitely and needs no refrigeration.

According to legend, 4 thieves in France during the Black Plague robbed victims of the plague. After they were caught the judge asked how they could touch the victims and not get the plague. They said a medicine woman had given them a portion of garlic soaked in red wine vinegar. It was later called Four Thieves Vinegar. It is still used in New Orleans hoodoo practices.
Love your photo of Bragg's raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. I take a tablespoon of it every day. It's great for your digestive system!

My main vinegar is apple cider. It's got lots of good uses! A favorite winter drink is honey and vinegar. It's good for sunburn - I rarely get one but my brother goes out for five minutes and comes back a lobster! It's good to rinse with if you think you've gotten in the poison oak, good for mosquito bites - takes the itch out, good for keeping ants at bay, gets rid of aphids on the roses, makes a tick back out of your dog (sometimes), gets mites out of the cat's ears, cleans your coffee pot right nice, cleans windows. Good stuff!
I use white vinegar to clean windows and mirrors, and am amazed that anybody still uses Windex.

Biggest usage of vinegar for me is for washing clothes (white vinegar). Used for final rinse or another wash through if the clothes were really dirty and stronger washing soaps were used.
For washing clothes or hair or whatever, vinegar breaks down soap and also leaves the finished item odorless.
I used to have a problem with athlete's foot. But other than not wearing the same pair of shoes two days in a row, the thing that helped most was rinsing my feet with vinegar after showering. I wash my feet with soap, rinse real well with water, then last thing before I get out of the shower, use a little squirt bottle to rinse them with vinegar. It absolutely works.

My dad took me to Montreal when i was young. Steamed fries with salt and vinegar. Heaven!
There is a Thrasher' s Fries on the boardwalk in Ocean City, Maryland that uses this as a condiment for their fries. And you can almost smell their location a block away. And they opened in 1929 so it is a long tradition.

Last edited:
How about this one:

To make drinking vinegar, you take any regular old vinegar, add fruit and/or herbs, let it sit for 1-30 days, then remove the fruit, and add sugar to create a fruit/herb flavored vinegar syrup. Add a tablespoon or two to a glass of sparking water and you have what's called a "shrub".

This particular one is made right next door (almost) in Portland, Oregon. I'm rather partial to the Thai Basil. It's.....different.

http://pokpoksom.com/

Last edited:
Just a partial list of our use for it.
*Surface/ window cleaner in kitchen and bathrooms
*mix it into chicken waterers (plastic ones) dont use it in metal
* use it to clean horses feet as a thrush preventative
* mix it with water and drink it, supposedly aids vitamin and mineral absorption, for this I use the Bragg brand
* when picking berries it removes the stain from hands
* we soak in vinegar, all sprayers and shower heads to remove mineral deposits
*prevents discoloration in peeled potatoes
What I like about it is that it does alot of jobs but yet is safe to injest in a reasonable amount. This was an added benefit when the kids were small in case they got a hold of it.

I used to have a problem with athlete's foot. But other than not wearing the same pair of shoes two days in a row, the thing that helped most was rinsing my feet with vinegar after showering. I wash my feet with soap, rinse real well with water, then last thing before I get out of the shower, use a little squirt bottle to rinse them with vinegar. It absolutely works.
Even though no athlete's foot that info is absolutely great. Thanks.

I don't know the reason why but as a kids, when we were sick with colds, we were put in warm cider vinegar baths. I don't know why. Maybe it just opened the pores better???

With summer halfway over and the Jellyfish in fullswing I remembered a use for vinegar from back home. Stops the sting from jellies if applied to the affected area. Keep a bottle in my kayak.

Found another use of vinegar. This one is from Depression Era cookbook.

Vinegar Hair Rinse

1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 quart water

Mix together. After shampooing, use as a final rinse to make your hair shine.

I have to co-sign this. It's a part of my hair routine. I usually do one per month. My hair loves "AVC Rinses." If you have any scalp irritation it does a wonderful job healing it. It will also help balance the pH of your hair and remove hair product/styling products buildup from your hair.

Last edited:
Biggest usage of vinegar for me is for washing clothes (white vinegar). Used for final rinse or another wash through if the clothes were really dirty and stronger washing soaps were used.
For washing clothes or hair or whatever, vinegar breaks down soap and also leaves the finished item odorless.
Add cleaning PVC air conditioner drain lines, cleaning stains on carpets, cleaning grout and tile- all using white vinegar....

View attachment 127547

Vinegar has a long history. It actually has been found in Egyptian Urns dating back to about 3000BC. It was used in many cultures through the ages.

There are many varieties of vinegar. Some of them are apple cider, balsamic. cane, distilled, fruit, malt, and rice. It is usually used in food preparation. Uses include pickling, vinaigrettes, and salad dressings. Many marinades contain vinegar. It is also used in ketchups, mustard and mayonnaise.

Vinegar usually lasts indefinitely and needs no refrigeration.

According to legend, 4 thieves in France during the Black Plague robbed victims of the plague. After they were caught the judge asked how they could touch the victims and not get the plague. They said a medicine woman had given them a portion of garlic soaked in red wine vinegar. It was later called Four Thieves Vinegar. It is still used in New Orleans hoodoo practices.
Don't forget the many, many varieties of vinegar that Asians enjoy, from sweet to tart.....

Back