View of Lincoln's funeral procession in Washington, D.C.

chubachus

First Sergeant
lincolnfuneraldc1.jpg

I don't remember seeing this photograph before. Has anybody ever come across the photographer's name or other photos from this position before?

Source.

W. A. Henderson operated a seegar store at 478 15th Street NW, immediately south of Pennsylvania Avenue and diagonally opposite the Treasury Building. Pershing Park is there now. I think that's the business in the center of the image. Washington Evening Star, 28 March 1866 p 3:

Washignton Evening Star 28 Mar 1866 p 3.jpg

Last edited:
W. A. Henderson operated a seegar store at 478 15th Street NW, immediately south of Pennsylvania Avenue and diagonally opposite the Treasury Building. Pershing Park is there now. I think that's the business in the center of the image. Washington Evening Star, 28 March 1866 p 3:

View attachment 63585

Looks like the information matches up, you can even see the word "cigars" (took me a while to find) below the word "imported" on the signage.

I'm wondering why the procession would go that route. At that time Pennsylvania continued diagonally to 15th, and from there around the north end of Treasury. If you're traveling between the White House and the Capitol, this block of 15th would be a detour, seems to me.

http://www.hamburghistoricalsociety.org/lincoln-funeral-train

LINCOLN FUNERAL TRAIN

Abraham Lincoln was assassinated 150 years ago on April 15, 1865. The funeral train from Washington, DC, to Springfield, Illinois, departed on April 21, retracing the 1,654-mile route that Lincoln took in the opposite direction to be sworn in as president in 1861. The funeral train arrived in Buffalo on the morning of Thursday, April 27 pulling in at the Exchange Street depot. The coffin was transported to St. James Hall in a catafalque drawn by 6 white horses dressed in black. Over 100,000 people passed by the coffin during the day. The mourners included ex-President Millard Fillmore and future President Grover Cleveland. Later that day the funeral train left Buffalo and continued its journey to Springfield.

The train’s route from Buffalo to Springfield took it past Hamburg as well as several other nearby locations as follows:

Hamburg, NY April 27

North Evans, NY April 27

Lake View, NY April 27

18 Mile Creek, NY April 27

Derby, NY April 27

Evans Center, NY April 27

Saw Mill, NY April 27

Farnham, NY April 27

Irving, NY April 27

Silver Creek, NY April 27

Sheridan, NY April 27

Dunkirk, NY April 28

Van Buren, NY April 28

Salem, NY April 28

Brockton, NY April 28

Westfield, NY April 28

Ripley Crossing, NY April 28

The funeral train arrived in Springfield, IL, on Tuesday, May 2, 1865. Lincoln was buried the next day.

Lincoln's Funeral Train Car

funeralcar.jpg

I sent a correction into LoC a few days ago, so hopefully people will not be misled in the future by the incorrect caption.

Back