"View from Rebel Fort"

AndyHall

Colonel
"View from rebel fort on Peach Tree Street, looking north, Atlanta, Ga., Nov. 1864." Flat and red/cyan stereo anaglyph. Library of Congress image.

Peach 01.jpg

Peach 02.JPG

Anyone knew where that is on this map?
Battery position to the right (east) of the road heading north out of town?
atl_defences.jpg

Good question, me just guessing, from the image, and the map, without knowing where Peach Tree Street is, my guess with the road in the background, is either

1. The redoubt in the middle of the road heading North out of town or near that point.
2. At the North West corner of the defensive lines.
or
3. Somewhere near the McDonald place on the map.

Those are my guesses, assuming the map is correct, and the place listed on the photo is right, judging by the road in the distance of the road in the background, assuming that road is on the map, but out of the three my money is on option 1, but I'd like to know where it was myself.

I don't find a Peachtree Lane on a modern map of Atlanta (nor a very good map, maybe?) And I note that Wikip. for Peachtree Street says: "The Peachtree name is common throughout the Atlanta area. In fact, it is often joked by natives that half of the streets in Atlanta are named Peachtree, and the other half have five names to make up for it. While 'Peachtree' alone always refers to this street, there are 71 streets in Atlanta with a variant of 'Peachtree' in their name."

Great photo. As I always like these just to see the little things. Is that a Schenkl shell standing on its nose?
Peach 01.jpg

George N Barnard was the photographer. If he left a diary, maybe there's a clue or two in it.

Barnard took panoramas while he was employed by the Department of the Army in 1864. Barnard was summoned to Atlanta, Georgia, in September 1864, immediately after Union forces, commanded by General William T. Sherman, captured the city. While the Army surveyed major topographical features, railroad lines, and roads, Barnard created photographic documentation, including this panorama of Atlanta, labeled with important landmarks. On November 12, 1864, Sherman ordered his men to raze Atlanta.

https://www.loc.gov/collections/pan...-and-examples-of-their-work/george-n-barnard/

Sometime ago, this map was posted in the forum. My apologies to the OP as I forgot from whence it came. Peach Tree is at the top center and running top to center of town. I assume a North/South direction:

View attachment 188888

Interesting map, if correct, an looking at the map provided by Story, I'd say the road running parallel to the main North bound road is Peachtree St., which would point to either the lone redoubt next to the N. bound road, or the redoubt part of the second line of defenses being the one in the picture.

But that doesn't explain the road in the background, which assuming the photo viewpoint being facing West, means that on the map I've guessed wrong, or the road in question isn't on the map, and could have been a new road built during the construction of the defenses, as a supply line, BUT, the geography in the photo vs. the map and guess location(s) does match up pretty well.

My guess is that it's this one, near the end of Peachtree Street (marked in blue), on a prominent hill and facing NNW. The road in the distance might be the one that parallels the W&A Railroad line running off the the NW.

View attachment 188903

About my suspicion as well, I'm not tech savvy enough to draw a picture on the actual maps. Now if only we could all go an see it, oh wait there's probably a skyscraper in that spot now.

Oh the tragedy of 20th, and 21st century construction.

Back