View From Big Round Top Observation Tower

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
brt final.jpg

Yesterday I posted a 1909 photograph of the Round Tops that included the Big Round Top observation tower. Since there were some comments related to the tower, I thought I would follow up with a bit more information along with some related images. The tower was constructed in 1895 when the view was far more open than what we see from the summit today. Interestingly, the tower was originally intended to be replaced in 1938 by the Gettysburg Peace Memorial that included the eternal flame which was eventually located on Oak Hill. Due to lack of use, the tower was disassembled in 1968 and the site was declared a historic ruin in 2004.
Here are three related images that you may find interesting. The first is an early 20th century view from the tower looking to the north. Little Round Top is on the right and Houck's Ridge to the left. The second image is a then and now that shows the summit of BRT before and after the tower and the final photograph is focused on the stone support for the tower as it appeared while the tower was standing compared to what remains today.
brt combo.jpg

brt tower2 final.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it interesting to see that road winding around Houck's Ridge. I believe that was there during the battle, but has been replaced with a road (Crawford Ave) that comes more directly off Wheatfield Road.
I believe the road was put in around 1897, but here was a dirt road or lane there during the battle, as you say. Thanks for comment.

Great stuff!

This is also a great writeup on BRT and if interested in climbing up there. The view is indeed pretty amazing, even without the tower.

Cannot count the ways that the 5th PA Reserves monument up there is wrong, btw. The 12 PA reserves rocket-through-a-turd monument, also up there, is horrid, but nothing like that 5th PA Res, and esp. from the perspective of the second photo up there. Someone for sure wanted to have fun with those monuments, and if you make the climb...

There is a 20th Maine monument up there as well. Great trivia question.

Great photos Greg!

It is a pity the BRT tower is no longer there. The views from the Longstreet tower, the Culps Hill tower and the tower on Oak Ridge are fabulous.

EXACTLY! I am not such a purist that I wish to see the towers go. I REALLY enjoy them, and I am sorry that this one had to go :frown: @PeterT do you recall if we saw the foundation pictured above?

The views from the Longstreet tower, the Culps Hill tower and the tower on Oak Ridge are fabulous.

I agree about the great views on the towers of Longstreet and Oak Ridge, but Culps Hill? Granted, it was mid-summer when I went up there, but I was disappointed by how the trees up there blocked the view.

I thought this was a good view of the town of Gettysburg. With the marker showing the points of interest it all made sense.

On the platform itself, there is a compass rose of sorts, that labels the direction in which you are viewing -- very helpful, also!

Back