Video: Longstreet Monument at Gettysburg, an Interview with Gary Casteel, Sculptor

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Wow, fantastic video Mike! Answered all of the questions that I had about the monument. Great to hear the complete story directly from Gary Casteel. Thank you.

prroh

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
He never addressed the right rear hoof nor why the ground broken by mrs Longstreet was not selected. Overall, interesting interview. The many negative criticisms were ignored and that is a shame.

Still think the thing is an embarrassment.

I missed something, so why wasn't the second site, the one Mrs. Longstreet broke ground on, used for the statue?
I don't think there was anything to miss. I replayed it, and, Mr. Casteel never said why they didn't use the site Mrs. Longstreet had chosen. He did say that it was across from the Confederate Memorial. Maybe they wanted it to stand out, so chose a site more to itself. Maybe Mike knows?

civilwartalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
I missed something, so why wasn't the second site, the one Mrs. Longstreet broke ground on, used for the statue?
He didn't actually complete that thought, I'll email him and see if I can get an answer to that.

He never addressed the right rear hoof nor why the ground broken by mrs Longstreet was not selected. Overall, interesting interview. The many negative criticisms were ignored and that is a shame.

Still think the thing is an embarrassment.
Yes, I did get video that answered some of these questions, they didn't all make it in the video. I will be releasing a second video, with some highlights I had to cut out in the future.

Thanks to everyone who watched the video, watch for more coming soon!

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Mike,

Very much enjoyed the video and the conversation with the sculptor.

I was part of the group of Confederate reenactors who were the honor guard at the first public unveiling of this monument. What a thrill that was!

Wonder if there is an internet video of that day?

Sincerely,
Unionblue

judi

Sergeant
Enjoyed interview.

I too wondered why it was not put where Mrs. Longstreet wanted it. Also why the site at the picinic area wasn't chosen.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!