Vicksburg vs Port Hudson

MikeyB

Sergeant
Good evening everyone,
Brand new to the forums, had a general question for everyone that I wasn't able to find a quick answer to on google.

I had always learned in school that one of the reasons Vicksburg was so significant was that it was the last bastion on the Mississippi and its collapse on July 4th now put the Mississippi completely under Union control. However, when reading Catton, he talked about Port Hudson and how that was actually the last outpost. So do the school textbooks have it wrong? Was Port Hudson technically the last stronghold, but I guess once Vicksburg fell, Port Hudson a foregone conclusion?

Mike

Good evening everyone,
Brand new to the forums, had a general question for everyone that I wasn't able to find a quick answer to on google.

I had always learned in school that one of the reasons Vicksburg was so significant was that it was the last bastion on the Mississippi and its collapse on July 4th now put the Mississippi completely under Union control. However, when reading Catton, he talked about Port Hudson and how that was actually the last outpost. So do the school textbooks have it wrong? Was Port Hudson technically the last stronghold, but I guess once Vicksburg fell, Port Hudson a foregone conclusion?

Mike
Welcome to the forum sir. Vicksburg surrendered on 7/4/1863,Port Hudson surrendered on 7/9/1863. Port Hudson doesn't get the attention it deserves. If you ever get a chance you should visit there. Only about 1/3 of it has been preserved but it is remarkably preserved. They have a really good Visitor Center/Museum there too. Go in late fall or winter though. It's hot and humid the rest of the year.

2017-01-13 08.55.34.jpg

Good evening everyone,

Mike
If memory serves Port Hudson was one of the first major engagements of the United States Colored Corps.
Leftyhunter

Good evening everyone,

Mike
I'm just glad that you were taught anything about Vicksburg in school. I doubt it was part of the curriculum when I was in school in the 70's. Where you from Mike? You seriously should visit Port Hudson if you get a chance. Pick up the back issue of Blue & Gray Magazine on Port Hudson before you go. Trust me. You will be glad you did.

smpthudscvr.jpg

Good evening everyone,

Mike

To me, it is only a technicality that Port Hudson's fall was the last confederate stronghold.

history books usually concentrate on larger events and since without Vicksburg, the defense of Port Hudson was rendered useless and was surrendered only four days later.

The real importance of Port Hudson, was it prevented Banks joining Grant at Vicksburg and superseding Grant as commander of the siege.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Mike from NY, thrilled to join the community.

So I guess in summary, if I'm ever on jeopardy and the answer is, "It was the last bastion on the Mississippi to fall to the Union", I'll protest if they say answer is Vicksburg!

Port Hudson was important but largely overshadowed by Vicksburg. Vicksburg was the touted Gibraltar of the Confederacy. Vicksburg was defended by a larger force led by a lieutenant general. Grant was there. By contrast it was only Nathaniel Banks at Port Hudson. Banks does not rate high among Union generals and is easily dismissed by most historians. The only claim that Port Hudson has over Vicksburg is that the Louisiana Native Guards fought and bled there.

Just got the Blue & Gray issue. Good maps, but I wish they showed the disposition of the units.

Back