Vicksburg Photo, Anyone Know Where, Please?

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
vb site.jpg

This photo was tucked away at the end of an uber long story posted about Vicksburg. Had assumed most would know where it is but 2 members who know the area are not sure- thought I'd ask? Is that a flagpole? ( And is that so obvious it's a stupid question? )

This looks like a post-siege picture of the shortened line of Union fortifications.

1) Those are 42-pounder rifled naval cannons.
2) There are too many buildings in the picture for it to be along the original siege lines (the Shirley House being the only structure to survive between the lines).

The shape of the hill makes it look like Castle Hill, but I don't think the surrounding area matches.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.345...nTTijgvj96Rb1V6JBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Anyway, if they are indeed Navy 42-pounders, the only Navy 42-pounders that I'm aware of were landed on the southern flank of Vicksburg from the gunboat Benton. (Battery Selfridge on the north side was a couple of 8-inchers, I think.) If it's a revised post-siege arrangement, they could have been moved elsewhere, of course.

If it's Battery Selfridge, then, those'd have to be 8-inchers-- hence my question about the 42-pounders. But I can't make them out well enough for me to say one way or the other.

(ETA: The guns that are there today to represent Battery Selfridge are not the 8-inchers that were actually there during the action.)

Last edited:
If it was Battery Selfridge or Fort Hill after the siege, you would see the river in the edge of the picture, and the guns would be pointing the wrong direction.

I say 42 pounder because that's what they look like, but the picture is grainy. The Benton had 4 42 pounders prior to the siege and 6 32 pounders. After the siege, she had 4 32 pounders and no 42 pounders, so I'm assuming they were left at Vicksburg or Port Hudson?

Just judging by the number of buildings in the picture, we know for certain that it was a fortification on the shortened federal line after the siege.

Hey 7th. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you expand?
I'll let the photographers explain in detail, but many 19th century images appear in reverse.

Example: When we see an image of a soldier with a knife on the left side of his belt . . . in reality the knife was on his right side when he was posing for the photo.

Forgive me for over simplification, but as I said, I'm sure the photography experts can provide a better explanation.

Last edited:
I say 42 pounder because that's what they look like, but the picture is grainy. The Benton had 4 42 pounders prior to the siege and 6 32 pounders. After the siege, she had 4 32 pounders and no 42 pounders, so I'm assuming they were left at Vicksburg or Port Hudson?

Highly likely. The 42-pounders were something of a temporary expedient, and gained a nasty reputation for bursting (as on the Carondelet at Fort Donelson). Frequently when they were replaced, the 42-pounders were unceremoniously pushed over the side into the river (where I presume a number still reside). I doubt the Benton's gunners would have been particularly eager to get them back in any circumstance... let the Army deal with them!

What we really need is a good map of the post-siege federal line of fortifications. However, I'm not sure one exists.

I could probably guess the line given enough time. I know it was anchored on the right by the Castle Battery on Sky Parlor Hill.

Back