Vicksburg National Military Park (NPS Tour Stops)

The surrender document was ready to be signed on July 3rd, 1863, but Grant declined to accept it. After some changes, Grant accepted and signed the document on the 4th.

Bill
July 3rd was my gg grandmother's birthday. She lived close enough to Vicksburg to hear the battle. She turned 18 when all this happened. I doubt she had a very happy birthday. However, she lived to be 101 so, I trust she had plenty of other Happy Birthdays!

The Seige of Vicksburg, Mississippi ended on this day in 1863 with a Federal Army and Navy victory.

FB_IMG_1530701339629.jpg

The Siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi began on this day in 1863 and ended with a Federal victory on July 4th, 1863. This siege was the final major military action in the Vicksburg Campaign of the American Civil War. In a series of maneuvers, Federal Major General Ulysses S. Grant and his Army of the Tennessee crossed the Mississippi River and drove the Confederate Army of Vicksburg into the defensive lines surrounding the city of Vicksburg, Mississippi.

20200518_065327.jpg

The Siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi began on this day in 1863 and ended with a U.S. Army and Navy victory on July 4, 1863. This siege was the final major military action in the Vicksburg Campaign of the American Civil War. In a series of maneuvers, U.S. Army Major General Ulysses S. Grant and his Army of the Tennessee crossed the Mississippi River and drove the Confederate Army of Vicksburg commanded by Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton into the defensive lines surrounding the fortress city of Vicksburg.

20210518_070913.jpg

Back