Vicksburg National Cemetery Damage.

The figure that I have read is that only about 25% of the Vicksburg Battlefield retains it's original Civil War topography. This is due to changes made after the battle by Union forces, farming and primarily by the WPA in the 1930's in an effort to improve the Park. Also, the very nature of the loess type soil tends to make the ground unstable. When you hear the phrase "Did you feel the earth move", in Vicksburg it is a literal truth.

I'm pretty sure the city's topography favors the defender a lot more now than in 1863.

The Vicksburg Post ran an article yesterday concerning NPS efforts to recover bodies from graves uncovered by the slide. DNA is to be recovered in hopes of identifying these soldiers.

It would be interesting to see if any DNA matches occur which would give these men back their identity.
Regards
David

Recovering those bodies is a daunting task. Many of the soldiers bodies were only partial remains, due to bones being plowed up during farming,etc. The undertaker in charge of the recovery effort paid by the head. All that was required was to bring in a skull.

but he's likely in a different part of the park.
Are the cemetery sections from certain areas where bodies were recovered? For instance, are the bodies recovered from Champion Hill and Big Black River in a certain section?
Curious, as I too likely have 2 family members that are among the unknown there. Both mortally wounded at Champion Hill and both died 10 to 12 days later either there or at the 17th AC field hospital near Big Black River. I’ll never find out what graves they are in but would be nice to know a cemetery section they would likely be in. Hope to visit in the future.

Are the cemetery sections from certain areas where bodies were recovered? For instance, are the bodies recovered from Champion Hill and Big Black River in a certain section?
Curious, as I too likely have 2 family members that are among the unknown there. Both mortally wounded at Champion Hill and both died 10 to 12 days later either there or at the 17th AC field hospital near Big Black River. I’ll never find out what graves they are in but would be nice to know a cemetery section they would likely be in. Hope to visit in the future.
Generally speaking, yes. For example, those killed at Chickasaw Bayou were reinterred in Sections G and O, which are adjacent to each other in the cemetery. Now, that's not to say there weren't outliers...those maybe found later on or something and then placed in a different section.

Generally speaking, yes. For example, those killed at Chickasaw Bayou were reinterred in Sections G and O, which are adjacent to each other in the cemetery. Now, that's not to say there weren't outliers...those maybe found later on or something and then placed in a different section.
Exactly the type of info I was looking for. So, what sections are, generally, those killed at Champion Hill or Big Black River buried?
Thank you for the response husker. That confirms what I thought. Now I just need to narrow it down.
Has anyone contacted the Vicksburg Park rangers lately with requests regarding soldiers? I belatedly saw on FB that they were taking research requests but not sure if that is still happening.

Exactly the type of info I was looking for. So, what sections are, generally, those killed at Champion Hill or Big Black River buried?
Thank you for the response husker. That confirms what I thought. Now I just need to narrow it down.
Has anyone contacted the Vicksburg Park rangers lately with requests regarding soldiers? I belatedly saw on FB that they were taking research requests but not sure if that is still happening.
Yes, on both accounts. Actually, a photograph I submitted for that is going to be used for a Memorial Day collage of some sort!

On your other question, I'm not sure. By my own research is how I determined where those killed at Chickasaw Bayou were later reinterred. And actually, there is a plaque nearby that sort of indicates that's where a number of men were from. But I'm sure someone has already done that type of research. Let me look around a bit and see what I can find.

Actually, are you familiar with the Roll of Honor? You could use that to look to see where particular soldiers were killed and where in Vickburg National Cemetery they were reinterred. You'll likely find clusters and that will help narrow down what section they were likely taken to. Volume 24 is the one you need. In the meantime, I'll keep looking.

Both were in Indiana units, one in 23rd Ind. Inf., one in 59th Ind. Inf. Both were wounded at Champion Hill.
From other Indiana units in the Roll of Honor, it looks like those killed on May 16 at Champion Hill (Midway Station) were buried in Section O.
However, both of the ones I am looking for lived a few days, one dying May 26, the other May 28. The units had moved on. Both men died in a hospital. I believe the hospital location was somewhere near Big Black River. Obviously both regiments had moved on.
I’ll keep digging. I’ve been thinking of trying to track down medical cards from the archives. I don’t believe any of those have been microfilmed.

I’ll keep digging. I’ve been thinking of trying to track down medical cards from the archives. I don’t believe any of those have been microfilmed.
There is a person here that can get them at a reasonable price. I can't seem to tag him from my phone right at the moment though.

Both were in Indiana units, one in 23rd Ind. Inf., one in 59th Ind. Inf. Both were wounded at Champion Hill.
From other Indiana units in the Roll of Honor, it looks like those killed on May 16 at Champion Hill (Midway Station) were buried in Section O.
However, both of the ones I am looking for lived a few days, one dying May 26, the other May 28. The units had moved on. Both men died in a hospital. I believe the hospital location was somewhere near Big Black River. Obviously both regiments had moved on.
@RhinehartRoots He goes every so often. Right now I guess it depends on restrictions, but he got me my medical cards.

@RhinehartRoots He goes every so often. Right now I guess it depends on restrictions, but he got me my medical cards.

Yeah, I may be able to help. The National Archives is shut down right now, and I'm not sure when they're reopening. Once they reopen though, I'll be going back, so if you need anything related to your Civil War ancestor, let me know

Brian

Haven't been to Vicksburg since October 2019. I'm guessing some roads/areas are still closed.

Haven't been to Vicksburg since October 2019. I'm guessing some roads/areas are still closed.

I went back over July 4th again, its pretty bad.

There's areas of the park completely closed that were open when were there. Like Thayer's Approach....

Plus side, I finally walked the cemetery after an ex-paratrooper buddy made it clear we were going to.

I went back over July 4th again, its pretty bad.

There's areas of the park completely closed that were open when were there. Like Thayer's Approach....

Plus side, I finally walked the cemetery after an ex-paratrooper buddy made it clear we were going to.
What seems to be the problem? Do they not have the funds to repair the roads?

Pretty flat ground for a mountain goat like you!😂
Regards
David
Yeah its a lot flatter, but the friend I had with me, did snap a golden picture at the top looking at a closed road:
20210704_093318.jpg

It was unforgivable, but funny as can be in the proper context.

Back