Book Review "Vicksburg Is The Key"

A fascinating and crucial campaign. Has anyone also read, The Beleaguered City: the Vicksburg Campaign by Foote? If so, what is your opinion of it? If not, any particular reason why not?

Norm
I have a copy of it.....it's typical Shelby Foote which is one of the things I like about it. Bought it at the Vicksburg NMP a few years ago.

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

christian soldier

2nd Lieutenant
Member of the Month
BDTEX. I have this book and unfortunately I have not had time to read it at this point in time. However, I have heard both authors speak publicly and they were outstanding. Earl Hess teamed up with William Shea on their first book together about Prairie Grove. I think Winschel wrote another set of books on Vicksburg that were accompaniments to this particular book. On the other hand, I do think that Bearss' trilogy on Vicksburg are still the standard books on the entire Vicksburg Campaign. Your book review was very good and rather educational. Thanks again for writing it. David.

I have one more thing to add about the book. As others have pointed out in other threads in CWT, Co-author Terrence J. Winschel used to be the park historian at Vicksburg NMP.
Mr. Winschel is a super nice fellow and an expert on the Vicksburg Campaign,

I would recommend anything that he has written.

Cavalry Charger

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Mr. Winschel is a super nice fellow and an expert on the Vicksburg Campaign,

I would recommend anything that he has written.
I have a copy of the National Park Civil War Series titled 'The Campaign for Vicksburg' and the text is by Michael B. Ballard with maps by George Skoch. There is a 'thanks' on the inside cover to Terence J Winschel at Vicksburg NMP and it was published in 2007. It looks like a nice easy read with a combination of maps, photos, paintings and text.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
Sorry to hijack this a bit, but I wanted to point out that this thread was begun in January 2018. Last weekend, before it was featured, it had been viewed 317 times. In the few days that it was featured, it got almost as many new page views as it had received in the previous 12 months and now has 615 page views.

The reason I point this out is to let folks know that if you want your book review seen, it is good to follow the rules Mike (Civil War Talk's owner) has set down to be featured. I can nominate to be featured only those reviews that follow Mike's guidelines.

1. The image of the book must appear at the top (before any text).
2. The name of the book, author, publisher, date of publication, number of pages and price should be immediately below the image.
3. You must used the "Book Review" banner which is a drop down on the left of the title when you create the thread.
4. The review must be original (i.e. written by you). It can't be something you cut and pasted from the publisher or another wev site.
5. It should be substantial. 500 words is a good goal. Shorter will be considered, but it should not simply be "This is a good book, buy it."

The review of Vicksburg Is the Key is a good example of how to organize your review. Thanks to bd for setting a good example!

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)