1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Vicksburg in April

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by SD_CivilWarTvlr, Mar 17, 2017.

1. SD_CivilWarTvlr

SD_CivilWarTvlr Private

I am planning on taking a trip to Vicksburg in mid April. I am planning so far to visit Grand Gulf Military Park, Raymond Battlefield, and Vicksburg NMP. I would love to tour Champion's Hill too but from what I have gathered from other forums on here, there really isn't a whole lot to see that is open to the public. If anyone on here will be in Vicksburg area from April 20th to the 23rd and are planning on touring or would like to tour Champion's Hill, please let me know so we could possibly set up a tour that is offered. Any other advice as to what to see or where to eat around Vicksburg would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Mike

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

I did the Champion Hill Tour alone with Sid Champion on 2/11/2017. There are not a lotta monuments and signage but it's still a pretty neat tour if you've read and know anything about the battle. It helps if you print the Civil War Trust maps and have them on the tour with you.

I did Vicksburg,Champion Hill, Raymond and Port Gibson from 2/9-2/12. I recommend hitting the old Courthouse Museum and Soldiers Rest Cemetery also and a sunset dinner at 10-South restaurant in downtown Vicksburg.

KansasFreestater likes this.
  4. SD_CivilWarTvlr

SD_CivilWarTvlr Private

Thanks bdtex! I have not read a whole lot on Champion Hill much less the entire Vicksburg campaign as a whole. Would it be worth it in your opinion to hire a battlefield guide for Vicksburg and Mr. Champion for Champion Hill?

5. bdtex

My visit there was a first for me. I hired a guide for 3 hours at Vicksburg NMP and it was definitely worth it. You can't see much of Champion Hill without the guided tour. Imo anyone taking the private Champion Hill tour should read about the battle first. Same with Raymond. It sure helped me to be able to orient myself while at both places and really appreciate what I was seeing.

http://www.battleofchampionhill.org/trail/tour.htm

6. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

bdtex and alan polk like this.
  7. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant

Hi Mike! I sent you a private message with some information. My husband and I visited Vicksburg last April.

8. bdtex

I would be remiss if I did not add that @alan polk was a tremendous help. From his hospital bed,he guided me right to some places in Raymond via private and text messages that l likely never woulda found on my own. :D

9. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

Keep us posted as the dates of your trip approaches. I live in the area and will be glad to help out with any information you may have or give you tips, etc.
    Be sure to check out threads 7th posted above. The one started by Bdtex is about as informative and enjoyable as they come.

Again, keep us posted!

Posted this as Bdtex was writing. Thanks, Bdtex. Your too kind!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)