Vicksburg Goodie Bag

I'd like to add my serious two cents. You guys did an amazing job putting this together. @ucvrelics I think you did an admirable job keeping us in line and on time, and I loved your McArdle connection. I did this stuff (organizing, putting together tours, etc.) for almost 30 years as a teacher and county agent) and it's pretty much like herding really independent cats. You, @bdtex, and the rest were wonderful. I got to fulfill one of my bucket list items by going to Greenwood and standing on the ramparts of Fort Pemberton, pretty much where the Sanders boys blew themselves up--Greenwood deserves a visit, guys--both for Pemberton and for the rest of the neat Civil War stuff. Just traveling up there with @Mark F. Jenkins was a treat. He and @AndyHall taught me all I know about floaty things, and I'm actually beginning to get it! @redbob Great job! Food was great, seeing James N. is always great, and getting to know the rest of you was a treat. I have new friends like @luinrina (Marcellus is thrilled he has a new friend in Germany!), and meeting the lovely @rebel brit and his more lovely wife was great. I'm so happy @archieclement was able to fight through the effects of chemo to come and join us. @alan polk you're a great guide and you did a terrific job in interpreting Champion Hill and Big Black River. I'm washing my jeans today--hopefully the smell of death will come out! :D

I've been to two of these events. Wish I could go every year. It shows us that other members love the same things we do...learning about history with all its warts. I've been to Vicksburg with and without you guys--and I can testify that with is best. We appreciate all the helping hands up hills and down hills, moving over on benches, and those life-saving cheese and PB crackers! I know I've left names out, but all of you are special. I laughed a lot Saturday night (you know who you guys are!) and enjoyed every single moment. @DixieRifles, I am going to take a shot at putting the Raider together with the help of an 8 year old, and we might call upon you for some help with wardrobe...
Thanks for the nice comments, @Nathanb1! It was certainly an honor to finally meet you and your husband at the gathering. I hope one day to hear you discourse on General Forrest! Was kinda hoping you would. Maybe next go-round - @diane too! That would be neat and definitely a bucket-lister for me! Heck, I’d pay to hear you two lecture about him!!!!

(And remember to check in on that potential Powers connection tidbit we briefly discussed.)

And I think you told me @lelliott19 came up with putting the schedule on the back of the name tags. That was a stroke of genius! I consulted it throughout the entire event!!!
@lelliott19 thank you for all your behind the curtain work. she did the same thing for Chickamauga-Ringgold last year.

068B5A72-2DA2-4590-A236-7CEBFFED1E30.jpeg

Back