Vicksburg Diaries

The siege of Vicksburg, from the diary of Seth J. Wells, including weeks of preparation and of occupation after the surrender
by Wells, Seth James, 1842-1864

Sample: June 10. Wednesday. We had not more than finished our early breakfast when the flood gates of heaven, with all its artillery opened. The rain poured down on our houseless heads in torrents. We covered up our things with oilcloths as best we could and sat on them to keep them dry. Some of the boys were located in the ditch, but they were doomed to a complete rout.

https://archive.org/details/siegeofvicksburg00well/page/n0

Thanks awesome Mike Serpa. Thank you. Vicksburg is one of my favorite areas of study (and I've yet to visit it, the battlefields around it, Port Hudson and La Chaumette Plantation (New Orleans/Andy Jackson).

If you can obtain a copy of Ed Bearss trilogy on the Vicksburg Campaign, you will find in the bibliography section numerous primary sources. Also, I am sure the Vicksburg Battlefield National Park's website could provide some suggestions on primary sources. David.

Thanks awesome Mike Serpa. Thank you. Vicksburg is one of my favorite areas of study (and I've yet to visit it, the battlefields around it, Port Hudson and La Chaumette Plantation (New Orleans/Andy Jackson).
You're welcome. Hopefully you will be able to visit some day soon!

Back