Vicksburg Battle Map Overlay

rebracer

Sergeant
Friends, I am working on making some map overlays for my own reference of the lines from the Railroad Redoubt through the 2nd Texas Lunette. What I am doing is trying to mark the approximate locations by redrawing the the regiment locations over a current Google Earth Aerial view. How I am doing this is by overlaying battle maps and reducing the opacity in photoshop to see where they were compared to the current day condition of the battlefield. My problem is that none of the readily available maps I am using seem to really match up. Using the railroad as a guide and where the NPS has the Railroad Redoubt recreated is not corresponding with the maps I have. I realize that there is alot of variation with these maps, but can anyone recommend a source of some high quality digital battle maps i may have overlooked. The Civil War Preservation Trust maps are usually pretty good as they indicate current terrain, but even these are not lining up. Any thoughts???

I was going to say Trailhead but then I remembered they don't have one for Vicksburg. They make some great ones using current topo maps. I have an original 1902 map that was used to construct the park but I don't know if that will do what you need.
IMG_20191026_074306218.jpg
IMG_20191026_074255367.jpg

I made a series of overlay maps using the same process. Only I used the Gottfried maps with Google Earth. Sometimes you have to use tools to distort the perspective to have the maps match up. I used Photoshop to do this. Here is an example:
View attachment 346979
Thank you, this is the same method I am working on as well. I will look at the Gottfried maps.

Thank you, this is the same method I am working on as well. I will look at the Gottfried maps.
Is there a Maps of Vicksburg book by Bradley Gottfried?

I didn't mean to suggest using Gottfried maps for Vicksburg because as noted, none exist. You will have to find other good maps. I like the topographically accurate maps made by Steven Stanley

Friends, I am working on making some map overlays for my own reference of the lines from the Railroad Redoubt through the 2nd Texas Lunette. What I am doing is trying to mark the approximate locations by redrawing the the regiment locations over a current Google Earth Aerial view. How I am doing this is by overlaying battle maps and reducing the opacity in photoshop to see where they were compared to the current day condition of the battlefield. My problem is that none of the readily available maps I am using seem to really match up. Using the railroad as a guide and where the NPS has the Railroad Redoubt recreated is not corresponding with the maps I have. I realize that there is alot of variation with these maps, but can anyone recommend a source of some high quality digital battle maps i may have overlooked. The Civil War Preservation Trust maps are usually pretty good as they indicate current terrain, but even these are not lining up. Any thoughts???
I can't see the map overlay you had here back when you posted it. Did it get deleted somehow?

No I have not posted anything because I did not get very far with it. There was another poster who made an excellent one a few months ago on another thread. I need to find that one.

Do Bearss maps mark locations of encampments and hospitals? This would be hugely helpful to my own research.

View attachment 369308
Thats a good question as to what this is on Ed's map. If I recall, there are three little lunettes located behind the main lines, that are visable on the old maps. It looks like to me they were unfortunately located about where Clay Street was built. The Brigade hospital was located on a hillside behind the Lunette, where an old closed hospital is currently located.

No I have not posted anything because I did not get very far with it. There was another poster who made an excellent one a few months ago on another thread. I need to find that one.
Ok am I going crazy or what. I thought I remembered that you did an overlay that was really neat, like you superimposed the map on a Google Earth photo. Maybe I am getting it confused with something else?

Ok am I going crazy or what. I thought I remembered that you did an overlay that was really neat, like you superimposed the map on a Google Earth photo. Maybe I am getting it confused with something else?
No, you are not going crazy, that was another poster and he posted that map back in April or June on another thread, it was very well done. Im sure we can find it in the Vicksburg section.

It's been several years since since I've learned this in high school, but how would I cite this map? Or my first question should be, would I need/ have permission to use this map for my own personal genealogical purposes?
*edit and actually I replied the wrong post. I wanted to reply to the post with the image of "Boomer's Attack". I'll learn this internet thing eventually.

Back