Vicks VapoRub - You'll Know It by the Smell!

Eleanor. Vicks has always been a staple in our household for as along as I can remember. As a kid, when my sisters or I would feel ill or start to cough, mother would apply Vicks to our chests before going to bed and by morning we would feel much better. Thanks for sharing the rather interesting history of Vicks Vapor Rub. Keep up the great work. Warm Regards. David.

To this day, when I smell Vicks VapoRub; I'm 9 years old again and my Mother is rubbing it on my chest, putting it in boiling water or feeding (?) it to me. I don't think that she ever tortured me by putting it on my sunburns however. There just isn't anything like a Mother's love.:angel:

Growing up, my mom strongly believed that Vicks, BenGay and liniment could cure any ailment known to man.

To this day, I have a jar on Vicks in my nightstand next to my bed.

LOL...my granddad and father believed strongly in bacon grease. I loved Vicks but it doesn't seem to be as strong as it was--so I have switched to Mentholatum. Nothing better than a little dab on your nose before bedtime (keeps your nose from getting rubbed raw when you have a cold, too!).

I asked Neal to bring me some Vicks when I had a cold this fall--he brought home some nasty lavender-scented Vicks. :nah disagree: I've since seen some other "scented" types. Ewwwwww...no.

I loved Vicks but it doesn't seem to be as strong as it was--

I asked Neal to bring me some Vicks when I had a cold this fall--he brought home some nasty lavender-scented Vicks. :nah disagree: I've since seen some other "scented" types. Ewwwwww...no.

I'm used to the good 'ol White stuff, but the last time my wife bought some for me, it was Clear, and not as good. I didn't even know they made any different ones. Hope the White is still available.

The smell of this childhood ointment brings back soooo many memories.

smell Vaporub and you know you will sleep and feel much better when you'll wake up. And your chest and back will be icecold for a few seconds and then be warm and comfy and you will sleep back to health, like you did as a kid.

Yes !

:smile:

My Mother rubbed the stuff all over my chest and throat as well . . . and I did sleep better.

But it was always a prelude to a Doctor visit .

And that was never fun !

I won't say anything about 1960's pediatric thermometers.

:eek:

Last edited:
There is another use . In EMS we use it for dead bodies and other pungent smells . A little on upper lip and you smell it instead of your work .

We kept a small jar in our lab coat pockets in the lab for smelly people or situations. I once had an elderly man (this was a hot, hot summer) whose leg was covered with staph. We could smell the staph before we saw him! Out comes the Vicks!

We kept a small jar in our lab coat pockets in the lab for smelly people or situations. I once had an elderly man (this was a hot, hot summer) whose leg was covered with staph. We could smell the staph before we saw him! Out comes the Vicks!
There is another use . In EMS we use it for dead bodies and other pungent smells . A little on upper lip and you smell it instead of your work .
Well, these examples are definitely more dramatic than a cold glass 1960's pediatric thermometer.

Last edited:
My mother used Vaseline for that. I thought ALL mothers used Vaseline for that! You have me worried now. :cautious:
LOL !

Now that you mentioned it, Mom used "baby oil" during that phase.
:eek:

( She was a nurse herself) . . and did everything "by the book".
But there are always some childhood memories we try to suppress.

For me, that was the one I most try to forget about !

:bounce:

Back