Veteran's Reference of battle names-> Fredericksburg

David Wilson

Private
My ancestor says he was wounded at Fredericksburg, but its not clear how much his regiment Pennsylvania 50th was actually involved in the Battle of Fredericksburg. What is clear to me is that he and regiment were involved in the Wilderness or Spotsylvania. Do you think that most veterans like my ancestor would have named battles as we do today ? Do you think he just referred to Fredericksburg because of its proximity to where he was wounded ? Opinions ?

Unless your ancestor's name was Milo Spencer, it's unlikely he was wounded in the December 1862 battle. That's the only name listed in the regimental history. Have you looked at that book yet? Lewis Crater, History of the Fifteenth Regiment, Penna. Vet. Vols., 1861-65 (Reading, PA: Coleman Printing House, 1884). Like many regimental histories, it's available as a free pdf download from Google Books.

The 50th definitely saw a lot of combat during the battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania. During the latter, they were often posted near the Fredericksburg Road, so that could complicate things name-wise. The Overland Campaign is also tricky because some official and medical reports had to combine multiple battles together. I've also seen where soldiers have the hospital where they were treated listed as the location of being wounded, and all the Ninth Corps wounded would have gone to the city.

What is his name? Do you know which company he was in? Be glad to seek additional information if possible.
Regards
David

Sorry His name is John Larrish Company E.
I have his pension records where he says he was wounded at Fredericksburg. To underline the notion of the town in his memory, he has a son, grandson and great grandson named Frederick. He was among the captured in May 1864. I think John was simply describing locations, for example he was also wounded at Pocotaligo and that battle is referred to by 4 different names.

On a higher level, I just wondered about when a battle gets its name and who remembers to call it that if they were a part of an actual battle. I imagine some might just describe where they were like the Bloody Angle and expect anyone to know what they were referring to.

Unless your ancestor's name was Milo Spencer, it's unlikely he was wounded in the December 1862 battle. That's the only name listed in the regimental history. Have you looked at that book yet? Lewis Crater, History of the Fifteenth Regiment, Penna. Vet. Vols., 1861-65 (Reading, PA: Coleman Printing House, 1884). Like many regimental histories, it's available as a free pdf download from Google Books.

The 50th definitely saw a lot of combat during the battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania. During the latter, they were often posted near the Fredericksburg Road, so that could complicate things name-wise. The Overland Campaign is also tricky because some official and medical reports had to combine multiple battles together. I've also seen where soldiers have the hospital where they were treated listed as the location of being wounded, and all the Ninth Corps wounded would have gone to the city.

I have a copy on CD somewhere, but I have been reading The 50th Civil War Odyssey. If you have a link to that pdf, I would appreciate as my current laptop does not have a CD player

Back