Veterans Flag (Real or fake or ...)

1863Wagoner

Cadet
Hello my fellow Civil War Era friends. Am I the only one who wishes I lived during the American Civil War Era? Yes I know no cell phones, no internet, no electricity. That’s ok I still wish I was alive during that time. Is this U.C.V. reunion flag worth more or less than $1500- U.S. dollars? Reputable seller says it’s authentic Civil War Veterans reunion era. To me that means 1940’s and earlier. Your thoughts? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• EED9AC20-052A-4BBB-804F-162C996214FE.jpeg
    EED9AC20-052A-4BBB-804F-162C996214FE.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 209
Welcome to the forum.
My whole life has "been about" the Civil War ever since I was a kid, so I am definitely one of those born in the wrong century. I could very well live without modern things, except Coca Cola, Pizza and movies. :D
Nice flag. I am sure there are people here who can confirm if it's an original UCV flag.
Wow, for someone interested in the Civil War since childhood I didn't expect it to be a Norweigan.

Wow, for someone interested in the Civil War since childhood I didn't expect it to be a Norweigan.

I am sure growing up with western comics with ex-confederates got something to do with it, and at the same time playing with Civil War toy soldiers.. Not to mention Civil War related westerns and TV series I watched as a little kid in the 70's.

More photos are needed especially the hoist end. There should be a makers mark such as Bull Dog which was one of the major makers of UCV flags. What is the flag made of, silk, cotton etc. Also the the markings on the flag are suspect as most of the UCV flags had State Divisions or camp names and numbers and not units. Not saying it not authentic but need more photos. These flags have been faked in the past so caution is recommended. The fringe seems to be in very good condition which is suspect.
Civil-War-Veterans-Reunion-Flag-Ucv-_1.jpg

8D630E5F-4D8A-4807-B442-B6B2CB25C313.jpeg
F5D77CBC-86DB-4E69-9BA9-B71AB11118B2.jpeg
C087E639-6E40-428E-B72F-E67F63CA9457.jpeg
77298BAE-FA09-4A82-8BDA-3707053D2C25.jpeg
More photos are needed especially the hoist end. There should be a makers mark such as Bull Dog which was one of the major makers of UCV flags. What is the flag made of, silk, cotton etc. Also the the markings on the flag are suspect as most of the UCV flags had State Divisions or camp names and numbers and not units. Not saying it not authentic but need more photos. These flags have been faked in the past so caution is recommended. The fringe seems to be in very good condition which is suspect.

There’s no makers mark, the flag seems to be made of cotton and the hoist end canvas, it measures 34”x 20 3/4” with the fringe, the stars are sewn on, I don’t know what to make of the round marked disc attached to the hoist end rope, despite the bright colors in the photos I must say they are more dull with some fading in person, NOTE: no brass grommets on hoist end, I’m thinking the flag was not meant to be raised on outdoor pole but instead spent its life inside a veterans hall on an indoor wood flag pole with weighted base (I’m guessing this), the fringe is faded but all there, fringe is a light faded tan color, black stenciling is in fact black paint stenciled (not printed), flag feels and smells older than it looks in photos, I’ve included 4 more pics.

208C9E5A-9CDF-4EB3-A516-350EC74EE25A.jpeg
Here’s a picture of the back side of the flag.
I will respect whatever opinions/judgments are rendered here in this forum regarding the authenticity of this flag. Whoever weighs in I understand is doing so based on the information I’ve provided. If you could hold the flag and smell the flag you’d have a more complete summary. Btw I’m not trying to sell it. Actually I just bought it and after the fact thought of you folks here on the CivilWarTalk forum. I’m a new member & didn’t think to ask for opinions here until after I bought it. Is it possible that the fringe was added as a celebratory decorative item in modern times. (Modern times meaning 1940-1980) I offer that only in reply to your saying the fringe looks too good. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions. CHEERS!
QUOTE="ucvrelics.com, post: 1937688, member: 17611"]More photos are needed especially the hoist end. There should be a makers mark such as Bull Dog which was one of the major makers of UCV flags. What is the flag made of, silk, cotton etc. Also the the markings on the flag are suspect as most of the UCV flags had State Divisions or camp names and numbers and not units. Not saying it not authentic but need more photos. These flags have been faked in the past so caution is recommended. The fringe seems to be in very good condition which is suspect.
[/QUOTE]

Hello my fellow Civil War Era friends. Am I the only one who wishes I lived during the American Civil War Era? Yes I know no cell phones, no internet, no electricity. That’s ok I still wish I was alive during that time. Is this U.C.V. reunion flag worth more or less than $1500- U.S. dollars? Reputable seller says it’s authentic Civil War Veterans reunion era. To me that means 1940’s and earlier. Your thoughts? Thanks so much!
When you say reputable seller, what do you mean, there have been many of these reunion flags faked in the last decade.

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your purchase! Looking forward to your perspective in our discussions! Enjoy!

@Package4 is spot on. I don't believe this is one of those notorious Bristol flags but if from the 1940's the fringe is a little to nice and the printing is a little to dark for my taste to be 80 years old.

Hello @1863Wagoner.

Welcome to CivilWarTalk.

I am sure growing up with western comics with ex-confederates got something to do with it, and at the same time playing with Civil War toy soldiers.. Not to mention Civil War related westerns and TV series I watched as a little kid in the 70's.

Hah !

I've been interested in the Franco-Prussian War since my childhood.

Don't ask me why, but I guess even back then I was impressed with the Prussian Uniforms. :bounce:

Hello my Yankee brothers and sisters and a fine day to my Rebel friends. I’m happy to bring you all an update on the authenticity question regarding my U.C.V. Flag. I recently reached out to expert Anthony Iasso of rareflags dot com. I didn’t know if he’d even reply to me. Not only did he reply promptly but he’s one of the most kind, genuine, fair, and knowledgeable people I now know. Check out his website to see some of the most rare flags. Also some great reading material and cool links.
The flag is REAL AND AUTHENTIC I’m happy to report. I’d post his authenticity summary here
in its entirety but it’s long and informative. It’s very detailed but the short of it is the flag is genuine from 1920-1930. Thanks so much to all who posted and I look forward to seeing you all in future chats. Cheers!

Back