Veterans Day, a good time to walk through your local cemetery.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Some of our forum members will watch or march in pardes for Veterans Day. Some will go to other event honoring veterans. Some veterans will take advantage of the free meals offered to veterans. A few veterans may eat one free breakfast, a free lunch, and one or more free dinners.

But what about a simple walk through you local cemetery? Some local cemeteries are too new to contain the graves of Civl War veterans. Some cemeteries will have veterans from way before the Civil War.

I spent the day the other day putting flags on on my family’s veterans graves. It is the least that I can do is to honor their memories and sacrifice.

My father and his brother served overseas in World War Two. Neither one has a military marker. In the past I went to the cemetery and put flags on their graves. I moved farther away (90 mile drive now) and am trying to decide if I will go put flags on this year. I could stop on the way and put a flag on my wife's brothers grave as he also does not have a military marker. I will have to decide soon if I will make the drive. My issue is a 180 mile drive to recover the flags. Letting the flags slowly fade and fall apart is disturbing to me.

I have been planning a trip to an old local cemetery with a friend who has pioneer ancestors buried there. Nearby is this marker. What sort of flag should go there?

CSA AZ 0504 copy.jpg

Back