Venison question

Western Water Rights--now there's an interesting topic. In Colorado it's against the law to collect the water that falls on your house/property-you don't have any rights to that water. The water rights to the Colorado River, which begins in the Rocky Mountain National Park, is oversubscribed by something like 120-130% by other states, so Colorado can't impound the water that flow through their state as they only "own" a small percentage of it. Farmers on the eastern plains have found that they can make more money by leasing their water rights to cities instead of raising crops.

As i said earlier, so much of the mountain forests have been ravaged by the pine bark beetle that the mountainsides are brown now, due to all the dead trees. During time of high winds, you're warned not to hike in the forests due to all the "widow makers" falling on hikers. During the last two years we've been lucky that we've had a lot of moisture from snowfall and summer rains, but this is causing a lot of grass to grow that will only die and provide even more fuel when we have a dry summer. All it will take is one lightning strike........

The forest does need fire to keep it healthy, and the Gov. will now let that happen on their land if possible, but this is a new philosophy. Their previous thinking was to fight every fire, but this has led to the accumulation of a huge amount of combustible material.

Western Water Rights--now there's an interesting topic. In Colorado it's against the law to collect the water that falls on your house/property-you don't have any rights to that water. The water rights to the Colorado River, which begins in the Rocky Mountain National Park, is oversubscribed by something like 120-130% by other states, so Colorado can't impound the water that flow through their state as they only "own" a small percentage of it. Farmers on the eastern plains have found that they can make more money by leasing their water rights to cities instead of raising crops.

As i said earlier, so much of the mountain forests have been ravaged by the pine bark beetle that the mountainsides are brown now, due to all the dead trees. During time of high winds, you're warned not to hike in the forests due to all the "widow makers" falling on hikers. During the last two years we've been lucky that we've had a lot of moisture from snowfall and summer rains, but this is causing a lot of grass to grow that will only die and provide even more fuel when we have a dry summer. All it will take is one lightning strike........

The forest does need fire to keep it healthy, and the Gov. will now let that happen on their land if possible, but this is a new philosophy. Their previous thinking was to fight every fire, but this has led to the accumulation of a huge amount of combustible material.

Yes, there have been unhappy policy changes that have had devastating impacts on the forests. My great-grandmother and my uncles, too, used to set fire to the forest floor - it burned low and fast and cleaned out all the rat's nests and fallen timber. There are several species of trees that need a fire to germinate their seed. There's also the unfortunate policy of letting a fire go so the agency fighting it can gain more money. Whatever the reason, the forests become unprofitable for the bears, cougars, coyotes, deer, snakes and brown recluse spiders...and that's why you find Smokey going through your garbage, Bambi chewing up your prize roses, Yellow Eyes following you down the bike path hoping you'll pass a spot he can jump you... :eek:

Yellow Eyes following you down the bike path hoping you'll pass a spot he can jump you... :eek:

A very sad story about just that. About 12 years ago, up by Ft. Collins, a 3-4 year old boy went missing from his church group. They were hiking up in the mountains and he went missing. A couple of years ago there was a fire in the area where he went missing, and the fire fighters found what was left of him. There was indications that a mountain lion had grabbed him. So very sad about that.

A very sad story about just that. About 12 years ago, up by Ft. Collins, a 3-4 year old boy went missing from his church group. They were hiking up in the mountains and he went missing. A couple of years ago there was a fire in the area where he went missing, and the fire fighters found what was left of him. There was indications that a mountain lion had grabbed him. So very sad about that.

Yes, that is very sad. When my sister lived in town there was a cougar inhabiting the bike path that ran by the creek behind her apartment complex. I told the game warden, but he said it was a big dog. Right. Tracks right behind deer tracks...dogs do that...! I always worried there would be a tragedy there one day but fortunately he was more interested in the deer. They were not healthy deer - people fed them and didn't know what they were doing - so they were not hard for him to get.

Back