Vendors to buy original Springfield that can still shoot decent

Does it have to be a Springfield?
I know where you can get a pretty good shooting Euroarms Enflield along with the a couple of bullet molds and a bullet sizer for a reasonable price. It was used by a N-SSA member.
Holding out for a Springfield for now... thanks for the info

Hey fellas I've got this one coming in on a 3 day inspection, M1864 here are some pics... is this original or a parts gun? Comes with bayonet, wasn't looking for that but a bonus... not sure if there is a faint remains of inspectors stamp, looks like 2 leaf site, don't know if ramrod is straight or not. cosmetically it is perfect for me not looking for a beauty queen but more like a bride's maid Lol... will be able to inspect bore when it arrives, what should I be looking for?
M1864-lock.jpg

m1864-barrel.jpg

m1864-cartouche.jpg

m1864-bayonet.jpg

m1864-muzzle.jpg

It's a mixture of Model 1861 and Model 1863 parts. The lock, for example has a Model 1863 type 2 plate with a Model 1861 type hammer, and the rifle musket should be so priced.

At the very least buy a copy of Flaydermans Guide to Antique American Firearms, and save yourself a ton of problems
Thanks for that, I did a little digging and I can see how the hammer is not the same as the M1864. I'm going to send the rifle back, what the inspection period is for.

That US 1861 with the 1864 dated lock plate...looking at the bolster clean-out screw, it appears that the screw head is buggered up and may not be able to be removed for necessary cleaning. Another reason to keep looking if you are looking for something that you intend to shoot at some point.

I wanted to thank you guys for helping me out with your recommendations, the M1861 arrived and I am very pleased. I also wanted to say that I was very impressed working with Dave at Lodgewood, he gave me exactly what I was looking for at what I feel was a fair price, he did everything he said we would do, and was very knowledgeable and patient with my questions... I would recommend Lodgewood to anyone that was in my situation. I have some questions about this rifle (just the background of it), but I will save that for another thread.

Back