Velvet Fudge

2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons cocoa
3/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons Old Bardstown
nuts optional

Combine sugar, cocoa and water. Over, medium heat, bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. When it comes to a boil add butter or margarine and place candy thermometer in pan (if you are using one). Cook to 234 degrees or until a little mixture in cold water forms soft ball. Remove from heat and cool thoroughly. Add almond extract and Old Bardstown and beat approximately 5 minutes or until fudge begins to thicken and lose some of its sheen. Drop bt teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper and top with your favorite nuts if you like. Its texture is like velvet. Warning-Cook slowly after it starts to boil.

From: "Old Bardstown Bourbon Cookbook" from the Willett Family of Bardstown, Ky.

Candy made with Bourbon is strong. Ever taste Bourbon balls. They are delicious.

Yes, that's what a nice host gave us as a parting gift when we left Kentucky with our Suburban full of 4-Her's. About the time we reached Arkansas we realized the fumes were getting very strong and wondered what would happen if we were pulled over.

I'd like to try to make this. I'm not sure if I can get old Bardstown Bourbon up here. Is there a difference in taste compared to regular Bourbon?

You can use any bourbon. But of course there are those who can tell the difference in bourbons. Many have favorite brands and say the quality is different. Not being a bourbon drinker, I could probably never tell the difference. Of course I am sure many on the forum would differ.

Back