vegetable: Missouri Succotash

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This is one of Laura Ingalls Wilder's recipes from her cookbook. In early 1920s Laura was writing articles for the magazine, "The Country Gentleman". She been contacted by other magazines to write on life and food. She wrote her aunt, her mother's oldest sister, for recipes from the family. This was one recipe that she found and used for her family.

I have always liked Succotash. This is a great recipe well worth trying.

Missouri Succotash

1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut in 1-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
3 medium size ears fresh corn
1/2 cup light cream
1 teaspoon freshly minced onion
2 tablespoons butter
1 few gratings of fresh nutmeg

Place the beans and seasonings in a saucepan with water. Boil rapidly until render-the water should be almost gone, about 8 minutes.

Cut the corn from the cob, first slicing off a thin layer, then scraping the cob to get as much pulp as possible. Add to the beans along with the remaining ingredients.

Heat together just long enough to cook the corn, about 3 to 5 minutes.

From:"The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook" compiled from recipes of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

So that's succotash. I only ever heard a cartoon character say, "Sufferin Succotash". Often wondered what it was?

And it's a veggie suitable dish too.......could impress the right guest.:thumbsup:

From:"The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook" compiled from recipes of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

That's a succotash recipe I can get behind. :biggrin:

A lot of succotash recipes are corn and lima beans, and lima beans are the only vegetable my mother ever fed me that I refused to eat as a child (we were all allowed to refuse one thing -- my sister refused to eat pumpkin, including pumpkin pie! :nah disagree:). I have made succotash and don't mind it as much as I did mixed vegetables with lima beans, but it's not a favorite. Succotash with green beans sounds pretty good -- surprised I haven't made it, actually, since I have that cookbook and have cooked a number of things out of it, all of which we've liked. Terrific cookbook, my only complaint being that it's too short, although other reviewers have complained that it wasn't what they expected -- it's got recipes more common to the early twentieth century than things they ate in the books.

The Little House Cookbook, although not actually written by Laura, is the one people want if that's their interest. There are some chapters on cooking and housekeeping of the time, then every recipe has a quote from the books, and sometimes some discussion of how it was eaten or variations of the time or whatever. The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook has beautiful photos from Laura and Almanzo's place in Missouri; The Little House Cookbook has drawings done by Garth Williams (a few of which sure seem to me to be recycled from the books).

This is one of Laura Ingalls Wilder's recipes from her cookbook. In early 1920s Laura was writing articles for the magazine, "The Country Gentleman". She been contacted by other magazines to write on life and food. She wrote her aunt, her mother's oldest sister, for recipes from the family. This was one recipe that she found and used for her family.

I have always liked Succotash. This is a great recipe well worth trying.

Missouri Succotash

1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut in 1-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
3 medium size ears fresh corn
1/2 cup light cream
1 teaspoon freshly minced onion
2 tablespoons butter
1 few gratings of fresh nutmeg

Place the beans and seasonings in a saucepan with water. Boil rapidly until render-the water should be almost gone, about 8 minutes.

Cut the corn from the cob, first slicing off a thin layer, then scraping the cob to get as much pulp as possible. Add to the beans along with the remaining ingredients.

Heat together just long enough to cook the corn, about 3 to 5 minutes.

I never thought much of Succotash, but after reading this I might try it and change my attitude.

Back