Vandalism

Confederate statue vandalized with message to help homeless
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A Confederate statue in Kentucky has once again been vandalized, this time with a message to house the homeless and remove borders.

News outlets report the messages appeared on the Louisville statute Wednesday. The statue depicts John B. Castleman, a Confederate soldier and general who helped to create the city’s park system. He also founded the American Saddlebred Horse Association.

Full article can be found here - https://wpta21.com/news/national-ne...tue-vandalized-with-message-to-help-homeless/

USS ALASKA
DISGRACEFUL!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Not too many pickups roaming around in cul-de-sac developments where most of these kind of kids live with short driveways. Not worth them burning up the gas. BTW-Pick up trucks don't do sidewalks.
LOL, Belle, I did have a pickup, and I did do sidewalks! In trying to negotiate a right turn, drivers in fronth thought I was trying to pass on their right to gain access to a nearby freeway. I ended up pulling onto the sidewalk and drove to the corner and made my right hand turn. One of the many bumper stickers I had, one stated "If you don't like the way I drive, Stay off the sidewalk>".

I detest vandalism of any sort. It is a crime against the entire community. Those who are caught in the act (which is rare) should be chained to the spot until they repair their damage.
I wish so, but that's impossible in today's environment because all the snowflakes would cry out how "inhumane" we would be to criminals.

I would add that after repairing the damage, they be forced into 2 year community service to clean up trash in their area. A lot of these places where vandalism occur could sure use it.

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
'Cowards & traitors' written on Confederate monument in Winston-Salem
Posted December 26, 2018

Winston-Salem, N.C. — A Confederate monument in North Carolina has been vandalized again.

The Winston-Salem Journal reports that the words "cowards & traitors" were written on the base of the Confederate Soldiers Monument in downtown Winston-Salem. A Winston-Salem police report says the vandalism was reported Tuesday evening.

The police report classified the crime as "malicious injury to property." Further details haven't been released.

Full article can be found here - https://www.wral.com/-cowards-traitors-written-on-confederate-monument/18086652/

USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Police seek vandals
Wilkesboro statue, monument defaced
Jule Hubbard
Feb 5, 2019 Updated Feb 5, 2019

The Wilkesboro Police Department is requesting the public’s assistance in determining the person or persons responsible for vandalizing a statue and monument on Wilkes Heritage Museum Inc. property near North Street.

The Col. Benjamin Cleveland statue on the north side of the Capt. Robert Cleveland log home and a nearby monument honoring Confederate veterans in front of the Old Wilkes Jail were vandalized with red spray paint Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Wilkesboro officers are actively investigating the incident but have no suspects, said Police Chief Craig Garris. “We’re asking for the public’s help. If anyone has any information about this, we’d like to hear from you,” added Garris.

Full article with pics can be found here - https://www.journalpatriot.com/news...cle_9f35a246-294c-11e9-bce5-4b40cf66c9ba.html

USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Vandals splash paint on Confederate monument, WWI cannon
5:15 am CST, Tuesday, February 5, 2019

DECATUR, Ga. (AP) — Vandals splashed paint on a Confederate monument, a nearby World War I cannon, and another cannon near Atlanta.

A spokeswoman for the city of Decatur tells the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the vandalism was discovered Sunday and almost all the paint was cleaned off Monday.

The Confederate monument is a 30-foot-tall (9-meter) obelisk. It was splashed with red paint. Blue paint was thrown onto the World War I cannon, on the other side of the Old County Courthouse in Decatur Square. The second cannon was splashed with green paint.

Full article can be found here - https://www.chron.com/news/crime/ar...aint-on-Confederate-monument-WWI-13589823.php

Please also see article with pics - https://decaturish.com/2019/02/vand...-paint-also-vandalize-world-war-i-era-cannon/

USS ALASKA

Last edited:

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Dallas' Confederate War Memorial vandalized days after City Council votes to remove it
2 days ago
Written by
Sarah Sarder
Robert Wilonsky

The Confederate War Memorial next to the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center was vandalized over the weekend — only days after the Dallas City Council voted to remove it from public view.

The vandal or vandals tagged the western side of the 65-foot-tall obelisk, which bears the inscription, "The Confederate sabreur kissed his blade homeward riding on into the mouth of hell." Over that someone spray-painted what appears to be a misspelled expletive. Beneath that, in similar capital red letters, someone painted an expletive altered to contain a reference to Ku Klux Klan; below that, the words "TRUMP" and "FREEDOM."

Full article can be found here - https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cri...ndalized-days-after-city-council-votes-remove

USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Vandalism of Confederate monument in downtown Murfreesboro frustrates area residents
Community frustrated by vandalism of Confederate monument
By: Linda Ong
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 05:28 PM CDT
Updated: Mar 13, 2019 06:07 PM CDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) - The Rutherford County Sheriff's Office continues its investigation into the vandalism of the Confederate monument in Murfreesboro.

Surveillance video from the County Courthouse showed the suspect driving onto the square around 10:30 pm Tuesday.

The statue, dedicated in 1901, commemorates the Confederate soldiers who fell in the Battle of Murfreesboro in 1862.

If you have any information, you're urged to call 615-904-3055

Full article can be found here - https://www.wkrn.com/news/vandalism...reesboro-frustrates-area-residents/1846549083

USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
NC Capitol police investigating after KKK hoods placed on Confederate monument
By CBS 17 Staff | March 4, 2019 at 7:29 PM EST - Updated March 4 at 11:25 PM

RALEIGH, NC (WNCN) - State Capitol police say they’re investigating after KKK hoods were found on a Confederate monument on Monday.

The statue, erected on June 10, 1914, is a monument to the North Carolina Woman of the Confederacy. The monument was the first in the state to honor the women of the Civil War era, according to a UNC database.

Full article can be found here - http://www.wbtv.com/2019/03/05/nc-c...-after-kkk-hoods-placed-confederate-monument/

USS ALASKA

Ole Miss

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
"Bronze bust Robert E. Lee toppled from monument in Fort Myers"
Another example of vandalism of Confederate statues and monuments by individuals who have taken upon themselves the mantle of "History Police", again.
Regards
David

"He was toppled in the Civil War and now he’s been toppled again in downtown Fort Myers.
A bronze bust of Confederate army commander Robert E. Lee was found face-down in the Florida Gulf Coast city on Tuesday after apparently being knocked off its base.;

“An unknown suspect or suspects loosened the bust from its pedestal on Monroe Street and knocked the monument to the ground," said Fort Myers police spokesperson Mitchell Haley, the Fort Myers News-Press reported"
source
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/f...statue-toppled-fort-myers-20190312-story.html

Long before I purchased historic St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Raccoon Ford, VA (aka the Lime Church in military records) some teenagers, (perhaps with no political agenda) had spray painted a giant 10' penis on the side of the building.

Before I closed the contract on the church, I went around and visited the neighbors to see how they felt about my future plans. Told everyone of my intentions to re-open it as a Civil War themed wedding chapel, art gallery, museum, and living history venue. I also told them of my hope to be able attract a new Christian ministry. Thus the church once again might serve as the centerpiece of this rural community.

All the local residents thought it was a great idea! They were happy to learn that the old Civil War church would reopen again. Interestingly though, every single one of those farmers during my visit pulled me aside. Then out of earshot of their wives/children said; "Listen friend..... As soon as you are able, please do something about that "thing" painted on the side of the church..... It just ain't right and I don't want my wife and kids to have to look at it anymore!"

I promised every one of those men, that would be my first order of business. The weekend after I closed on the property, and for the next 3 weekends after that, I spent all day Saturday and Sunday working with rags and industrial strength Goof Off to remove that graffiti.

It was a tremendous amount of physical labor since there was no water well on the property and I was unable to use a power washer. By end of the 4th weekend, I swore that if I ever caught anyone doing something like that again, they would end up being my permanent guests in the cemetery adjacent to the church. And I'm not just kidding when I say that.

For 2 years the offensive image had been clearly visible when driving down that country road. When out to see the property, I thought to myself, "What kind of person would risk offending God in this manner?" I then tried to recall what I was like as a teenager. I wondered if either myself or any of my childhood friends would ever do something like this? After a short time pondering this question, I decided that "No! Absolutely not! I was never that disrespectful to anyone or anything!"

I can only come to the conclusion that young people these days are not just different, they are lacking in character. They must possess absolutely no critical thinking skills, or any ability to act independently of the crowd. Worst of all, they must be totally lost morally and spiritually. I do not know how we can fix this, but I'm going to try.

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Pair being sought in vandalism of Confederate monument in Salisbury
Pair being sought in vandalism of Confederate monument in Salisbury
By David Whisenant | March 20, 2019 at 6:01 AM EST - Updated March 21 at 11:34 PM

SALISBURY, NC (WBTV) - Two subjects of interest are being sought in connection with the vandalism of a Confederate monument that happened in downtown Salisbury early Wednesday morning.

Someone splashed paint on “Fame,” the statue in the median of W. Innes Street and Church Street. This marks the second time the Confederate monument has been splashed with paint in the last seven months.

Thursday, police released surveillance of two people walking and a another image of a car. One of the individuals appeared to be carrying something in his left hand.

“If you recognize the vehicle or either of the two individuals, please contact Det J. Easler at 704-638-5225, Salisbury-Rowan Crime Stoppers at 1-866-639-5245 or contact Salisbury Police Department by Facebook Messenger,” Salisbury police said.

Full article can be found here - http://www.wbtv.com/2019/03/20/confederate-monument-salisbury-defaced-second-time-months/

USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Some good news to go with post #150...

Raleigh Man Charged After KKK Hoods Found On Capitol Confederate Monument

RALEIGH, N.C. — A 42-year-old Raleigh man was arrested after State Capitol Police said he put KKK hoods on a Confederate monument in downtown Raleigh, court documents show.

Jonathan Alan Williams was arrested Monday morning and charged with misdemeanor littering not greater than 15 lbs, according to an arrest warrant.

The document says Williams used white bed sheets to make the KKK hoods and placed them on a Confederate monument on the Capitol grounds.

Williams is scheduled to appear in court April 8.

Full article can be found here - https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/n...ument/83-5e3b8b14-e49b-4c98-9c15-12c08df6571e

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
University of North Carolina Memorial to Slaves Is Defaced With Urine and Racial Slurs
By Mihir Zaveri
April 1, 2019

A memorial dedicated to slaves and African-American workers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was vandalized Sunday, the university said, as the university is still reeling from tensions over a Confederate monument that was toppled by protesters last year.

The memorial, called the Unsung Founders Memorial, was vandalized by two people at about 1:30 a.m. Sunday, the memorial was defaced with urine and racist language written in permanent marker, the university police said.

The Unsung Founders Memorial has been cleaned by the university, which has placed barricades around the memorial to “deter future incidents,” the police said.

Full article can be found here - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/01/us/unc-unsung-founders-memorial.html

USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
A follow-up to post #155...

UNC charges 2 with vandalism and ethnic intimidation in defacing of monument and artwork
By Martha Quillin and Joe Johnson
April 08, 2019 06:28 PM, Updated April 08, 2019 07:11 PM

Police arrested two people Monday for defacing a monument and an art exhibit on the UNC campus early March 31 with racist graffiti.

The pair also were charged in the theft of a university flag that morning from atop the UNC System Building.

UNC Police Media Relations Manager Randy Young said police charged Nancy Rushton McCorkle, 40, of Newberry, S.C., with vandalism and ethnic intimidation in connection with damage to the Unsung Founders Memorial and an outdoor exhibit near Hanes Art Center.

Ryan Francis Barnett, 31, of Sanford, was charged with two counts of vandalism, one count of ethnic intimidation and one count of public urination. McCorkle and Barnett both were charged with larceny in the theft of the flag, which was shown in online photos.

Full article with pics can be found here - https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article228988384.html

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

USS ALASKA

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Durham Confederate soldiers monument vandalized
By Virginia Bridges
April 07, 2019 07:33 PM, Updated April 08, 2019 01:10 PM

A monument honoring Confederate soldiers in the city’s Maplewood Cemetery was vandalized recently.
Cement or some type of hard substance appeared to be smeared on the top of the monument. The gray substance covered sections of the raised lettering on the bronze plaque atop the stone podium

Full article can be found here - https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article228943109.html

USS ALASKA

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)