Vandalism

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Michigan
To Her
11th Regiment Infantry
Volunteers.
Lieut. Col. Melvin Mudge,
Commanding.
Stanley's Brigade,
Negley's Division,
Thomas' Corps

From the looks of this page the tree that hit that monument must have been very large,

Expired Image Removed

A group of 5th grade students from Waggoner Road Middle School in Reynoldsburg, OH have decided to help repair the drummer boy on the Ohio State Monument on Missionary Ridge. These students are in the process of raising $5000 to help the Friends and the Park return the drummer boy's hand and drumstick. Their teacher, Mr. Hinkle, is leading this great civics study. What great students! Details on how you can help the students coming soon!

I have sent emails the SUVCW in Michigan and Georgia and see what they can do. Almost any bank will make a community donation. All you have to do is ask. They just have to figure out what the cost would be and set a goal. The rest is a nickel here a dime there etc.

Expired Image Removed

A group of 5th grade students from Waggoner Road Middle School in Reynoldsburg, OH have decided to help repair the drummer boy on the Ohio State Monument on Missionary Ridge. These students are in the process of raising $5000 to help the Friends and the Park return the drummer boy's hand and drumstick. Their teacher, Mr. Hinkle, is leading this great civics study. What great students! Details on how you can help the students coming soon!
Thankfully, the student's fundraiser was successful.
The drummer boy has been repaired.:thumbsup:
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/ohi...-ridge-civil-war-monuments-drummer-boy.98310/

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/students-seek-to-fix-civil-war-statue.96868/#post-829801

Private Watkins

2nd Lieutenant
Ignorance physically manifested. Vandalism in the broadest sense goes beyond the physical mutilation of public property, but is rather just as much a part of those who hate and disrespect in other ways, including those who feel they have to defend their views at all cost, and that it is more important to prove that they are right than to try to understand someone else's perspective.

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I suppose they take the plaques for the metal - that's what they were doing at the local cemetery. I always feel bad about these things. The quality of the piece is forever diminished, even if repaired. There's no reasoning behind it - just people greedy or too stupid to think of something better to do.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I suppose they take the plaques for the metal - that's what they were doing at the local cemetery. I always feel bad about these things. The quality of the piece is forever diminished, even if repaired. There's no reasoning behind it - just people greedy or too stupid to think of something better to do.
There are children and there are children. Some go wild and some don't. I didn't dare do anything like that, but that was my parents. There were times I wanted to mess up something or another, but Ma and Pa would not like that. (Yes. they were Ma and Pa.)

I have no idea what they did. They just looked disappointed when we acted up and, for some reason, we really avoided disappointing them. There were no beatings. Well, maybe once when I swung a kitty by the tail. And maybe another when I hit little brother with the BB gun. Whack, whack, whack. Lesson taught.

Would they have countenanced vandalism? No way. You do your thing and I'll do mine. But I will never mess with you and you'd be well advised to not mess with me.

for those of you who have no clue ! if you lock ten pit bulls in a fenced in area for ten years , when you let them out , you have ten pit bulls who can walk around in a circle . Punishment should be ten years cleaning and repairing monuments 7 days week , 365 days a year , when they are finished , they will have a respect for monuments and cemeteries , and the knowledge to start a monument and cemetery cleaning business !!!!

Barry:

Sadly, I am very aware of the damage to this and other Michigan monuments at the Chickamauga battlefield. The Michigan Department of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War have been consulting with National Park officials as to potential repair of these monuments. We recently were able to clean one monument and it now appears the same as the day it was dedicated. This is a long term project for us, due the costs involved.

Thanks for your interest and I hope as we get closer to beginning fundraising for these monuments, we can approach the Georgia Military Order of Stars and Bars for a contribution.

Jim

James B. Pahl
Past Commander-in-Chief
Past Michigan Department Commander
Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War

Seems to be a costly endeavor. I believe if you can get someone to commit to a price then you can start raising money.

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
Kids' pranks have always been here. A test of manhood, maybe?

Our fathers and grandfathers and greatgrandfathers, when they were young, played played pranks. And their fathers playfully put in countermeasures. Nobody got upset because there was no real damage.

When I was growing up, tipping outhouses was in vogue -- and Halloween only. Except for stealing watermelon after football games. It was expected and some farmers planted watermelons to encourage the game. (Watermelons were not a cash crop.) So stealing watermelons and tipping outhouses was a game between the grups and the kids.

Grandfather, a time or two, moved the school outhouses back about a yard. Father and a neighbor or two waited in the schoolhouse for kids to come by to tip the outhouse. Then they'd bust out shooting shotguns in the air.

It was a game! No one damaged anything. Outhouses? Two guys can set one upright.

The cleverest prank I ever heard of was when someone set a two-bottom blow on main street in town and dropped the shares. Now, anyone old enough will know that the only way to raise the shares is to move it forward.

Too much rambling in the past. The point is that, in the past, no one intentionally broke things.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)