Restricted Vandalism

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
I am reporting to the city of Atlanta and they gave me a reference number. I am asking others about Chickmauga
I believe the Chickamauga vandalism was reported a while ago.....

But the Mozley Park (Battle of Ezra Church) is fresh.

By the way, the Georgia Historic Marker "Site of Ezra Church" near the vandalized plaque was stolen.

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
I will report this too if they are not aware.
What was the Chickamuaga marker specifically? I mean where was it located.
The statue on Snodgrass Hill was the only vandalism I observed in the park.

But I believe this vandalism was done quite some time ago.

There was a Georgia State Marker near the Battle of Ezra Church monuments.

This marker is gone (if I recall correctly, there were two markers).......

ole

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Retired Moderator
I was arrested years ago for vandalism... I paid over a grand in restitution and my case was dismissed. I learned, and never did it again.

People can and DO change for the better.
Got spanked, Huh? That is how it happens. Were I to have been arrested for vandalism, The Dad's disapproval would have been much worse than the fine. However, the rules change on Halloween.

Barrycdog

Major
"Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park: Thank you for the photo. This monument is indeed on our list of memorials to be repaired, though it will be challenging due to the nature of the damage. A number of years ago, a tree fell and broke the hands, a constant challenge in this heavily wooded battlefield. What a challenge it must have been to fight in the woods! (ws)"

I also left a message with Jeff Headley with the Georgia Department of resources about the missing marker at Mozely park. There are a lot of them. I wonder if it would be worth it to move them to a different location because the are where they are is considered to be a rough neighborhood. Maybe something more permanent. Also I think they are three missing.

John Winn

Captain
"Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park: Thank you for the photo. This monument is indeed on our list of memorials to be repaired, though it will be challenging due to the nature of the damage. A number of years ago, a tree fell and broke the hands, a constant challenge in this heavily wooded battlefield. What a challenge it must have been to fight in the woods! (ws)"
That will be a difficult repair I'd think. I'm assuming somebody has the hands ?
All the repairs I've worked on involved vertical pieces and even they are usually braced until the adhesive cures (we use one our director gets from Germany that is especially made for the purpose). It'll be tricky to brace the hands but I hope the repair gets done somehow. Good luck.

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
I detest vandalism of any sort. It is a crime against the entire community. Those who are caught in the act (which is rare) should be chained to the spot until they repair their damage.
I agree with the Lt. Some years ago, I had the extreme good fortune to spend a week in Rome, Italy. Our hotel was very near the Spanish Stairs, so we naturally saw that site nearly every day. One afternoon, returning from a long walk through the city, we saw two young vandals under the close supervision of the Carabinieri. They were wearing bright orange vests and meticulously scrubbing off the spray paint they had used to "decorate" a section of the railing. In my view, their public humiliation was well deserved.

Jamieva

1st Lieutenant
That will be a difficult repair I'd think. I'm assuming somebody has the hands ?
All the repairs I've worked on involved vertical pieces and even they are usually braced until the adhesive cures (we use one our director gets from Germany that is especially made for the purpose). It'll be tricky to brace the hands but I hope the repair gets done somehow. Good luck.
Unless they broke up upon impact with the monument base or other hard surface

Barrycdog

Major
I talked to Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park and they said this was Colonel Mudge of the 11th Michigan and the plaque that was missing was probably a state seal. Also he was holding a sword. Possibly Lieutenant Colonel Melvin Mudge. As far as fundraising the park says they cannot raise money for any specific monument in increments like for example they have a donation box for monuments but for Colonel Mudge they cant guarantee that money would go for him. He mentioned an Ohio monument at Missionary Ridge had a drummer boy's hands broken and a school raised the money for it completely. I asked if they had the hands and sword for Colonel Mudge but they did not. They believe he was damaged by a tree fall. The Ohio monument was damaged by vandals and they had a cannon damaged by tree fall during a storm last year. Colonel Mudge has been a while. I asked if they could raise money for Colonel Mudge but if my friend is correct and its been damaged since 1988 and the Park has not replaced anything. The person I talked too could not give the cost of repair but he mentioned the Ohio monument cost $5000 dollars to repair. I will post more details when I can.

John Winn

Captain
Sounds like both a bureaucratic and a practical challenge. If the missing parts aren't available then I'd guess it'll cost plenty to restore. It's a shame but maybe the Col. will just have to remain as he is. Perhaps a small metal informational sign might be possible using private funds (which would require a lot less than repair). Then at least people would know who he is and why there's a monument. Just a thought.