Vandalism

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Vandalism : willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property......

I just returned home from my Atlanta Campaign Tour vacation.

I discovered an old monument vandalism and a new monument vandalism.

Chickamauga National Military Park (Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia)

DSC_0266.JPG

Battle of Ezra Church (Mozley Park in Atlanta, Georgia)

DSC_0750.JPG

Why???

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
I pulled into the Mozley Park in Atlanta, Georgia on April 15th. I exited my car to take a few pictures of the Battle of Ezra Church monuments. I observed the spray painted graffiti on the above monument and instantly became ticked off! I work in law enforcement and I deal with vandalism on a daily basis. LRB, you are spot-on with your assessment. I wanted to hunt this individual/s down and hang them from the nearest interstate overpass from their Buster Browns!!!

I don't even have the words for things like this. It is like my mother use to say. I am not mad, I am disappointed. That was always much worse than her getting mad anyway.

That is kind of how I feel, a deep sadness and disappointment in the people who do these horrible acts. It brings me back to those two men and the little boy at Kennesaw mountain standing on the earthworks right next to the "keep off sign" and even letting the little boy dig up the earthworks with a little plastic shovel. It actually made me physically ill.

That is really painful. Locally, we just had a case of two kids who drove their pickup truck through an historic cemetery and knocked over and damaged a number of monuments. Why did they do it ? They were just bored and high (their testimony).
I try not to feel that these things reflect on our society as a whole but its hard. A few hours of community service somehow doesn't seem adequate punishment for such people.

kel1985

2nd Lieutenant
It's shameful and a disgrace that this happens. I think part of it is ignorance of the events, part of it is just plain stupidity, and possibly anger at the events surrounding what is commemorated. That being said, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and should remain incarcerated until full financial restitution is made.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)