USS Tecumseh Memorial Planned

RoadDog

Corporal
I see in the July 9th Tecumseh (Ok) Countywide News that Randy Atkins has a website and is trying to make a memorial to the crew of the Monitor USS Tecumseh, that sank after hitting the torpedo at the Battle of Mobile Bay, Aug. 5, 1864.

He has a website at
www.usstecumsehmemorialproject.com

Right now, just a single buoy marks the site of the ill-fated ship.

Good luck Mr. Atkins!!

Interesting link.

There was an article about the USS Tecumseh in the winter edition of Hallowed Ground, the Civil War Preservation Trust's magazine.

The ship is apparently in the navigation channel of the bay and police have to monitor the area to try to minimize damage from other ships and to keep divers away.

Raising that huge ironclad would be economically and technologicaly very difficult, perhaps unreasonable, but it does seem there should be more of a memorial to her and her crew.

I enjoy the part when the order to abandon ship is given and Commander Craven waits at the bottom of the ladder to allow his pilot to ascend ahead of him. Because the ship sinks in 25 seconds, the pilot lives and the captain dies. I don't believe we know whether Craven actually knew he was making such a sacrifice when he so courteously allowed the other man to go first.

Back