USS Port Royal

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Michael O'Neil

Private
If anyone comes across a photo of this side wheeled gunboat I'd really appreciate a copy or the link. Have got and been sent loads of info about her but I've only found the 2 illustrations at the Naval Historical Center. Gone through as many of the Civil War photographic collections (Brady, etc) but no joy - not even in the background. Doubt one exists but you never know.

Michael O'Neil

Private
Cheers wilber and thanks. Good luck also - I've been trying since last December when I hit genealogical gold and found a complete pension file for an ancestor who died June 1862 during the James River expedition - 140 pages of pure history including letters he wrote whilst on the Port Royal. He talks about the battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac, Rip Raps, Fortress Monroe and proceeding up river with the Galena and Chippewa. I've managed to gather images of all things mentioned in his letters but alas no image of the Port Royal. The closest I've come in terms of boat build and location is the Mendota - part of the Brady Collection at the Library of Congress.

M E Wolf

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Navy O.R.-- Series II--Volume 1
Statistical Data Of Ships.
United States Vessels. "N"-"S"
U. S. S. PORT ROYAL.
Acquisition.--Built by contract with Thomas Stack, New York, N.Y.
Cost.--S100,000.
Description.--
Class: Side-wheel steamer; double-ender.
Rate: 3d.
Tonnage.--805; 974.
Dimensions.--Length, 209'; beam, 35'; depth, 11' 6".
Draft.--7' 8".
Speed.--Maximum, 9.5 knots; average, 7 knots.
Engines.--Diameter of cylinder, 48"; stroke, 7'.
Battery.--April 2, 1862, 1 100-pdr. Parrott rifle, 1 X-inch Dahlgren S.B., 6 24-pdr. howitzers; April 11, 1863, I 100-pdr. Parrot rifle, 1 X-inch Dahlgren S.B., 2 IX-inch Dahlgren S.B., 2 50-pdr. Dahlgren rifles, 2 24-pdr. howitzers, 1 light 12-pdr. S.B.; January 1, 1864, removed the light 12-pdr. S.B. from the preceding; December 31, 1865, similar to that of January 1, 1864.
Disposition.--Sold, October 3, 1866, at Boston, Mass., for $4,500.
Remarks.--Commissioned, April 26, 1862, at Brooklyn Navy Yard. Total cost of repairs while in naval service was $15,939.02.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Port_Royal_(1862)

(Has a print of it)

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-p/portroyl.htm

(Has two prints of it with map)

1862AppomattoxRaid

Even before Merrimack was scuttled, Confederate Secretary of War G.W. ..... [51] The small ships, Port Royal, and Delaware cleared the bar at the mouth of the ..... [48] Warships of the Civil War Navies, Paul Silverstone, Naval Institute Press, ... [75] Deck logs of the USS Port Royal, Delaware, Satellite, Monitor, ...
www.navyandmarine.org/ondeck/1862AppomattoxRaid.htm - Similarto 1862AppomattoxRaid

Michael O'Neil

Private
Cheers M E Wolf - already had the wiki stuff and the 2 prints - not seen the 1862 Appomattox Raid info. Think you've posted info before on my Letters from James River Expedition thread. Seems likely the Port Royal was never photographed.

M E Wolf

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Michael O'Neil --

Don't think it ever was also.

U.S.S. Port Royal would be posted somewhere down the line by now in my opinion, to include the photo/painting/etching spread in the Naval Archives by now.

M. E. Wolf

Michael O'Neil

Private
A pity. I've gone through hundreds of naval/gunboat/James River shots in the hope that she might appear in the background even - nothing I could say with certainty. Another ship I'm after is the USS Ben Morgan - apart from textual info there's zip as regards images for her. At one point she was used as a hospital and later ammunition ship but I've not even managed to find anything that could give me an idea as to her lines so I could look for her in the background as well. The images would complete the history of an ancestor of mine.

M E Wolf

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Navy O.R.-- Series II--Volume 1
Statistical Data Of Ships.
United States Vessels. "A"-"C"
U. S. S. BEN MORGAN.
Acquisition.--Purchased at New York, May 27, 1861, by George D. Morgan. Launched, at Philadelphia, Pa., in 1826.
Cost.--$13,000.
Description.--
Class: Sails.
Rate, rig, etc.: 4th, ship.
Tonnage.--407.
Draft.--Loaded, 15'; light, 10'.
Disposition.--Sold at New York, November 30, 1865, to Mr. Hammill, by Burdett, Jones & Co., for $5,200.
Remarks. -- Formerly, the Mediator. From 1861 to 1865, ordnance ship, Hampton Roads, Va., for the North Atlantic Squadron.

============
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ben_Morgan_(1826)