USS New Ironsides Model in 1/96th Scale

Great work, Kevin!

Question for anyone knowledgeable - New Ironsides had sixteen broadside guns, fourteen 11" Dahlgrens and two 100pdr Parrott rifles. Does anyone know which ports the Parrotts were mounted at, and why? Thanks.

Thank you! In the last year I have developed a very successful resin casting business. I sell on Ebay my close to 70 products. Mostly all 1/48th scasle aircraft update and conversion sets. Along with sets for scratchbuilders. My goals for the near future is to release a full resin aircraft set, and to my love of Civil War nauticals, a full ship model. Front runner is a USS Hatteras in 1/96 scale. More then likely my first foray into Civial War Nauticals will be a CSS Wilmington. It's unique looks, and simplicity make it a perfect debute offering. Full hulls a must. Special thanks to Andy Hall for his incredible renderings, and inspiration. Technical details always welcome to assist in bringing this model to market.

8589468674_29ba014639_h.jpg

Thank you! In the last year I have developed a very successful resin casting business. I sell on Ebay my close to 70 products. Mostly all 1/48th scasle aircraft update and conversion sets. Along with sets for scratchbuilders. My goals for the near future is to release a full resin aircraft set, and to my love of Civil War nauticals, a full ship model. Front runner is a USS Hatteras in 1/96 scale. More then likely my first foray into Civial War Nauticals will be a CSS Wilmington. It's unique looks, and simplicity make it a perfect debute offering. Full hulls a must. Special thanks to Andy Hall for his incredible renderings, and inspiration. Technical details always welcome to assist in bringing this model to market.

View attachment 291396

Holler when you do produce the kit. I figure your thinking 1/96 scale for the Wilmington model?

yes it will be 1/96. I will be getting some assistance from William Blackmore for his metal casting talents. I'm roughly figuring it to be a $350 to $400 model.

yes it will be 1/96. I will be getting some assistance from William Blackmore for his metal casting talents. I'm roughly figuring it to be a $350 to $400 model.
nt.
Excellent, Williams a fine craftsman. Be interested when you have the kit ready Kevin. For your Iron-side did you copy Williams commission build he did of one with the miniature CSS David? Yours seems to be more detailed but the same run which I feel is a wonderful representation of her. Seems that there are only two of those built so far, Williams and yours. I'm jealous. :D

I thought the parrotts were on deck fore and aft ?

Descriptions I've seen credit her with two 100-pound and two 50-pound Parrotts, the latter on the upper deck. And of course models like Kevin's and illustrations show eight ports a side on the gun deck. Hoping someone can confirm or correct.

I found William's New Ironsides on the internet and went right to the creator. Actually I commissioned William to build me the raw hull. No paintwork or to completion of fixtures, guns, and boats. He did supply many of the resin and metal bits I'd need. I then drove from Chicago to his home in S.Carolina and picked it up. I enjoyed a few hours visiting and meeting the master himself and his equally model hobby talented wife Judy. You can not find a nicer couple. It was a treat to see his living room decked out like a museum with large glass display cases of his 1/96 scale RC ships. So my contribution is the paint and finish, and assembly to the hull. I have built just about every iron clad and then some that Cottage Industry Models makes.

It's not helpful I know ,but the model of the ship in the Hampton Roads museum has no guns on the spar deck at all !
Descriptions I've seen credit her with two 100-pound and two 50-pound Parrotts, the latter on the upper deck. And of course models like Kevin's and illustrations show eight ports a side on the gun deck. Hoping someone can confirm or correct.

According to Donald Canney's The Old Steam Navy, New Ironside's original armament was to be sixteen IX-inch Dahlgrens on the gundeck and two 150-pdr rifles on the spar deck. They changed it to fourteen XI-inch Dahlgrens instead, which freed up two gundeck broadside spots for the Parrott rifles. Retouched photos from the era show eight open gunports on either side too, and nothing prominent in a chase location on the spar deck. The segment of New Ironside's gundeck diagram that is in the book (which shows the forward three pairs of broadside guns and rails) shows a Parrott in the number 2 port on the starboard side, sandwiched between XI-inch Dahlgrens fore and aft. Drawing is from RG 74, Bureau of Ordnance, no. 1206 in the National Archives. Canney doesn't make any mention of 100-pdr or 50-pdr Parrotts. The latter isn't a standard Parrott size, that was 60-pdr even in Naval form, though the shell was 50 pounds. 50-pdr was a standard Dahlgren rifle size though, but I don't see them fitting those.

1438381087051.jpg

Last edited:
According to Donald Canney's The Old Steam Navy, New Ironside's original armament was to be sixteen IX-inch Dahlgrens on the gundeck and two 150-pdr rifles on the spar deck. They changed it to fourteen XI-inch Dahlgrens instead, which freed up two gundeck broadside spots for the Parrott rifles. Retouched photos from the era show eight open gunports on either side too, and nothing prominent in a chase location on the spar deck. The segment of New Ironside's gundeck diagram that is in the book (which shows the forward three pairs of broadside guns and rails) shows a Parrott in the number 2 port on the starboard side, sandwiched between XI-inch Dahlgrens fore and aft. Drawing is from RG 74, Bureau of Ordnance, no. 1206 in the National Archives. Canney doesn't make any mention of 100-pdr or 50-pdr Parrotts. The latter isn't a standard Parrott size, that was 60-pdr even in Naval form, though the shell was 50 pounds. 50-pdr was a standard Dahlgren rifle size though, but I don't see them fitting those.

View attachment 292513
That suggests the Hampton Roads model is correct then. Warship International carried a detailed article on the ship, but I haven't had time to dig it out.

My question about the New Ironsides is where did they stow the three sailing masts when they reached their stations of operation?

No I don't. I have built the classic old Monogram C-47. great kit with soem of the best in injectrion molded paratrooper figures.

Back