USS Cairo Relics A GREAT Fathers Day

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Just back from Jackson visiting a very dear friend of mine and doing the Brandon CW show. I took him under my wing over 10 years ago as a Grasshopper. His father in law and my Dad were good friends at Central High in Jackson. His father in law was a huge relic hunter starting back in the late 1950's and found huge amounts of stuff. He was also present when they brought the USS Cairo up and was the second person to enter the boat right behind his relic hunting partner Ken Parks. Anyway long story short Grasshopper gave me some items that his father in law acquired from the Cairo that I have always drooled over. I was blown away and very touched by his gift. I'm going to take a small part of the wood and have Dr Gary make a few witness pens for me and Grasshopper. I also got a few other rare goodies so stay tuned.
IMG_20180616_123104725_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180616_123459583_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180616_123621944.jpg
IMG_20180616_124229819_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
He was also present when they brought the USS Cario up and was the second person to enter the boat right behind his relic hunting partner Ken Parks. Anyway long story short Grasshopper gave me some items that his father in law acquired from the Cario that I have always drooled over. I was blown away and very touched by his gift.
Whoa! That's awesome! Cant wait to see the pens.
I also got a few other rare goodies so stay tuned.
Can't wait to see what else.

UCV relics, I to live in Brandon and was set up at the show today, I started relic hunting in 1966 and I am sure I know of whom you speak. This relic hunting graduated through the years into a very pleasurable collecting interest. I was going to set up a 4 table display only of U.S. and Confederate unit carried muskets. Waited to long and all tables were gone so settled for two only selling tables. It was a very good show and all I talked with did well...Hawknknife..Carl Merck

It has turned out to be a very good show not to big not to small. Tim and his SCV Rankin Rough & Ready Camp always do a GREAT job. I only went Sat afternoon for a few hours as Grasshopper and I went digging at one of his Dad in Laws old CS camps up on the Big Black.

As long as they leave a few things for the rest of us!:smile coffee:

I'm sure we did as it was way to hot by noon to stay. Ive been hunting that area since the 70's and it has always produced good relics but I had 3 ticks on me when we got back to the house. NOTE TO SELF: Winter Only like the old days.

More info on a connection to your mentor.....I graduated from Central High, Jackson, Ms in 1960..my GGreat was the commanding office of the Rankin Rough and Readies, Capt Runnels was presented their flag from the ladies of Brandon, Ms.

Just back from Jackson visiting a very dear friend of mine and doing the Brandon CW show. I took him under my wing over 10 years ago as a Grasshopper. His father in law and my Dad were good friends at Central High in Jackson. His father in law was a huge relic hunter starting back in the late 1950's and found huge amounts of stuff. He was also present when they brought the USS Cairo up and was the second person to enter the boat right behind his relic hunting partner Ken Parks. Anyway long story short Grasshopper gave me some items that his father in law acquired from the Cairo that I have always drooled over. I was blown away and very touched by his gift. I'm going to take a small part of the wood and have Dr Gary make a few witness pens for me and Grasshopper. I also got a few other rare goodies so stay tuned.View attachment 192713 View attachment 192714 View attachment 192715 View attachment 192716
Very, very cool!

I'm sure we did as it was way to hot by noon to stay. Ive been hunting that area since the 70's and it has always produced good relics but I had 3 ticks on me when we got back to the house. NOTE TO SELF: Winter Only like the old days.
While this is a pretty good plan, it may not be foolproof; as yesterday I came in from filling my wife's birdfeeders (as she is afraid that the squirrels and raccoons might starve without us) I noticed that one of my freckles/age spots (freckles if you are under 60 and age spots if you are over) was moving and upon closer examination it was a nice, healthy brown tick making a meal of me. Based on this incident, it may prove to be a banner year for ticks in the ole sunny South.

Just back from Jackson visiting a very dear friend of mine and doing the Brandon CW show. I took him under my wing over 10 years ago as a Grasshopper. His father in law and my Dad were good friends at Central High in Jackson. His father in law was a huge relic hunter starting back in the late 1950's and found huge amounts of stuff. He was also present when they brought the USS Cairo up and was the second person to enter the boat right behind his relic hunting partner Ken Parks. Anyway long story short Grasshopper gave me some items that his father in law acquired from the Cairo that I have always drooled over. I was blown away and very touched by his gift. I'm going to take a small part of the wood and have Dr Gary make a few witness pens for me and Grasshopper. I also got a few other rare goodies so stay tuned.View attachment 192713 View attachment 192714 View attachment 192715 View attachment 192716
What a great gift.

Well UCV, you seem to have gotten a great gift! One never knows what old time relic diggers got, I can relate as my mentor in artifacts has recently charged me to talk to Hanover Brass about sending them some old blocks of brass he's dug over the years at the site of the Confederate Powder Mill/quasi Arsenal in Marshall, TX, (which is ironic as my demolition company owner Dad was the one hired to erase all trace of it around the time I was born in 89), seems we gonna get some C.S. buckles made from it.

Well UCV, you seem to have gotten a great gift! One never knows what old time relic diggers got, I can relate as my mentor in artifacts has recently charged me to talk to Hanover Brass about sending them some old blocks of brass he's dug over the years at the site of the Confederate Powder Mill/quasi Arsenal in Marshall, TX, (which is ironic as my demolition company owner Dad was the one hired to erase all trace of it around the time I was born in 89), seems we gonna get some C.S. buckles made from it.
Why did they want to erase all traces of it, the Marshall ordinance in my collection is some of the most interesting pieces that I have.

My Dad didn't get all of it, (weird for him to have slacked off), but at the time there was a building or two still halfway standing, and a ton of earthworks surrounding it. The way my Dad had explained it was the landowner was scared the State of Texas was going to follow through with some outcry to save it, when he wanted to make a parking lot for his 18-wheelers for his business in 10 years, (which I don't think he ever did). My said destroying all of it was the easiest buck he made, he had a fetish for destroying old stuff, especially CW related, (funny part of it, he's now buried in the shadow of a Confederate Monument to my GG-Grandfather).

EDIT: There's still good pickins at the site though, my "mentor" has come up with tons of stuff, including the gang molds.

Back